Clip on some Spectrum cars to stop coupler swing

Started by Chuck N, May 13, 2015, 04:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck N

The other day I was having a problem keeping a string of three Bachmann Spectrum Tank cars on the track.  My curves are all Aristocraft 10' diameter.  They kept derailing going into a curve.

I took one off the track to examine it and discovered that the coupler would not swing from side to side in the coupler pocket.  Further investigation showed a small "U" shaped clip on top of the coupler shank between the car body and the back of the knuckle.  When I removed the clip from the cars, I had no further problems.

I notice a similar clip on my D&RGW long caboose.  I haven't had any problems with the caboose staying on the track. The clip is not on my box cars.

My first question is what is the purpose of those clips?

My second question in the box with the car, was a small bag with items to be attached.  Unfortunately, there were no directions or illustrations showing where to put them on the car, where do they go?

Chuck

StanAmes

I believe the clip is to prevent damage in shipping.  It should be removed from all of the cars as its purpose of to prevent movement of the coupler.

The small parts bag in the cars I have are spare parts which I use if I loose or damage one of these parts.

The tanks also have what looks like a hazardous label placard which I have never used.

Hope that helps

Stan

Chuck N

Thanks Stan!

I've never seen anything about removing them.  I'll check the paperwork in the box to see if I missed something.  

If they are to be removed, why do they match the color of the car?  The clip on the tank cars is black and Tuscan red on the caboose.

Chuck

PS if they are supposed to be removed, maybe they should be made in bright pink or some other contrasting color to get the new owners attention.  Just a suggestion.

Chuck N

I found a note in the bag with the drop down couplers about removing the clip.  Never would have found it, as I don't, and most 1:20.3ers use the drop down except for the geared locomotives.

Chuck

sniglet

Thank you I wondered why it would always derail.

Chuck N

Glad to have helped.  When strange things happen and I find a solution, I try to post it.
Chuck