Can you identify this mystery locomotive?

Started by kdgrant6, May 22, 2015, 11:43:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdgrant6

This is an old locomotive parked at the former station of the Pickens Doodle Railroad, an old spur of what is now a main NS line between Charlotte and Atlanta.  The 8 mile track has been changed into a hiking/walking/biking path. Its completion will be celebrated tomorrow. 

I was wondering what model of diesel this was.

Any help?

Now this is weathering!

rogertra

Quote from: kdgrant6 on May 22, 2015, 11:43:19 AM
This is an old locomotive parked at the former station of the Pickens Doodle Railroad, an old spur of what is now a main NS line between Charlotte and Atlanta.  The 8 mile track has been changed into a hiking/walking/biking path. Its completion will be celebrated tomorrow. 

I was wondering what model of diesel this was.

Any help?

Now this is weathering!

Baldwin.  I think it's an S12.

Cheers

Roger T.

kdgrant6

Here's a pic from Wikipedia:

That looks like the one.

Thanks.  Someone will probably ask me.

JerryB

I believe that locomotive is a Baldwin VO-660. The hood is too long and the stack arrangement and headlight are not what is found on an S-12.

Take a look at this link for a history of the Pickens Railroad, including a section on all the motive power:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickens_Railway

And here is a link to information on the VO-660:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldwin_VO-660

Note that it says the Pickens RR VO-660 was originally sold to Singer, then on to Pickens, and remains on the property.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

kdgrant6

Thanks, Jerry B.

I should have done my homework.

I graduated high school with Mr. Jones' daughter not long after he bought the railroad..

jward

not being that familiar with Baldwin products, I would also guess a vo series either 660 or 1000.  the vos were the first mass produced Baldwin switchers, and one way to spot them for sure is the cast frame, with the stepwells cast into the frame as one piece.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jerrys HO

The first pic is a VO660. The second pic is a S12