Adding a spring to a Bachmann G scale turnout

Started by litefoot49, June 07, 2015, 04:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

litefoot49

I tried to find a message about this but couldn't.  Assuming that it can be done, how can some sort of spring be attached to the Bachmann g-scale turnouts?  I have two turnouts and want to install them on a high shelf layout so a train from one direction will use one passing track and a train from the other direction will use the other.

Thanks!

Chuck N

I do it all the time.  At a Holiday show we have a Thomas loop with  passing sidings.  Thomas goes clockwise and Percy goes counter clockwise.  The switches are set so that each train goes through a spring switch at the end of their siding.  I use LGB manual throws.  They lock the switch in one direction, but permit it to spring open to permit a train to pass through returning to its original position.

Chuck

I have added a twist to the track, so that with a simple change of polarity to the track, it is possible to change the trains that are running.  If Thomas is in his siding and you change the polarity to the track, Percy will start in the opposite direction.  It requires two gap tracks in each siding.  One of the gaps on each siding is connected across with a diode.  This way the track is dead with the polarity in one direction and active in the other.

litefoot49

Thanks for your input Chuck. I went to the LGB web site and found a listing for their manual throws but there was no mention if they were (or could be) controlled with a spring.  I also couldn't figure out how I could connect it to my Buchmann turnouts.  I don't want to stand on a step stool to operated a manual throw and with the way I want to support the track and turnouts, I don't want to use an electric switch machine.

I have most likely overlooked something and someone will be able to show me the errors of my ways.

Thanks again.

Chuck N

The spring is inside the mechanism.  Once you set it to the direction you want, it will always return after the train passes in the opposite direction.

I do not have any Bachmann switches, so I cannot advise how well they would match up with the LGB mechanism.  Many different manufacturers use the same tie spacing and many switch mechanisms are interchangeable.  

Chuck

A friend of mine, over on the <mylargescale.com> site, has a simple mechanism that he has designed that will do what you want, if you are willing to do a little work, drilling some holes and bending some wire.  Go to their "beginners forum" and ask "Totalwrecker" for help.  He has a simple spring system that fits between the points on the switch.

litefoot49

NarrowMinded

Hi,

I Made some simple springs to hold my switches in one direction for this same function.

Find some medium size safety pins
Cut the head and point off.
Set it on the ties so one end is against the outside of the track and the coil is on a tie.
Mark the other end where it will be bent at a right angle to point down into the point actuator and where the coil is on the tie for a small screw.

Install it so it just pulls the point back after the wheels go through the points.

Set up a length of track and use your lightest car to test the operation.

A couple more tips,
If you need a lighter acting spring you can bend some wire and make the spring long enough to rest on the next tie.

Also add weight to cars if they want to ride up over the point instead of opening it.

Don't tighten the screw through the spring coil leave it lose so the spring/safety pin moves freely.

This set up has worked without issues because there's a minimum amount of moving parts
Just make the action as light as you can and still be reliable, if you make it close to tight you will have to add more weight, this will result in more wear on the points from the wheels, which reminds me of something else, make sure all your rolling stock have metal wheels.

Nm-Jeff

litefoot49

Now I have two way to try out.

Thanks Nm-Jeff!