News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Lynn 2-4-2

Started by ironrailsbud, May 07, 2015, 05:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ironrailsbud

:(
Hello all.. my Lynn loco has been running great ever since I rec'd it...but today all of a sudden it just stopped. I would get it running again for a little while and then it would just stop again. Very frustrating as this is my favorite locomotive. I know it's the loco as my LGB Stainz runs and runs and runs.
Any ideas why this is happening all of a sudden ?
It is only a year or less old.
Thanks for any help.
Bud

Loco Bill Canelos

Does the breaker on your power supply trip when the loco stops?
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Chuck N

Are you using a starter set power supply? Many don't have the output to run many engines.

Chuck

ironrailsbud

Hello...as I said in original post my LGB Stainz runs around and around with no problem.
I'm using the Crest 10 amp #55460 power supply with Train Engineer 5473 & 5471.
A day or so ago I lubed the Lynn using Bachmann's E-Z Lube conductive contact lube on axles, etc. Could that have done something to conduotivity within the locomotive ?
Is something in the locos electronics failing ? I ran it about 2 laps around this evening and it just up and quit again. Any help will be really, really appreciated.
And there was no breaker tripping.
Thanks,
Bud

Chuck N

Different engines have different power needs. Hence my post.  A10 amp power supply is more than adequate for your engine.

My guess is that the conductive lubricant is the cause of the problem.  I use it only on the electrical contact points on the back of the wheels.  Used as a general lubricant could cause unwanted problems.  This may be work, but try to clean all the points you lubed and use a nonconducting lub.

Chuck

ironrailsbud

:)
Hello all.
Well think I got the Lynn going again. Opened it up so I could see the gears and noticed there was some grease and lubricant on the brass strips that run against all 4 wheels. Cleaned the strips and the wheels they rub against with a swab dunked in rubbing alcohol. Think maybe the heat yesterday(80 +) caused some of the grease on gears to melt and run(I did not grease the gears since owning it).
So I think all is well but still hold my breath when its running dreading the possible stop.
Thanks to all who replied to my problem.
Bud

Chuck N

Glad you seem to have solved the problem.  Keep conducting Lubs away from most parts of your locomotive.

Chuck

ironrailsbud

Well, so much for that. Looks like a shelf queen. Runs and stops, runs and stops. If anyone has any ideas why I am all ears.
Thanks, Bud

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Bud,

Ordinarily when this happens there is a short in the locomotive that trips the breaker on the powerpack which are often thermal breakers.  It also happens when a the loco draws too many Amps for the powersupply.  When the breaker trips it cools down and the loco moves again until the breaker trips again.  That is why I asked about the power supply tripping in my earlier post.  You other loco runs fine because it has no short(or does not draw too many amps) and does not trip the breaker.   Whatever the cause it is most likely a short somewhere in the loco or the loco is drawing too many amps.  Since you have a 10 Amp power supply,  I am leaning toward a short in the loco somewhere. 

Wish I offer more help, but I would definitely look for a short in the loco somewhere.   Try bench testing it with alligator leads starting with the wheel pickups and see what happens as you go on.  Check for any binding in the mechanism which could cause drag and raise amp draw.  If you have a multimeter you can check the Amp draw on the meter. with the loco running slow the Lyn usually draws less than one Amp, it may draw slightly higher amps during startup.  If you are drawing more than 1.5 amps I would bet on a short or drag in the mechanism.

If you are unsuccessful at finding the problem, and you bought it new from an authorized dealer you could send it in for repair under the warranty.   It would be sad to see it become a shelf queen especially since it is your favorite loco.

Hang in there and don't give up just yet.   sometimes it is best to step back wait a day or two when you are not tired and re look at the whole problem from the beginning.

Good luck and report how you are doing with it.

Loco Bill

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

ironrailsbud

:)
Hello all...well after several cleanings of the lube off all areas I lubed I am happy to report the Lynn is no longer a shelf queen and runs like a champ.
My question is why is the lube called conductive when it isn't ? Wonder how many others have had the same problem when using this lube(Bachmann E-Z Lube #99981) ?
Thanks to all for the help...ran the Lynn in tribute to the vets this am until it started raining.
Bud