News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Tender-Mogul-width

Started by DAVE2744, May 25, 2015, 02:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAVE2744

One thing that does bother me, visually, about the otherwise excellent B'mann Mogul DCC w/Sound is the width of the tender body to that of the cab.  Must of the pictures I come across show them to be of the same width.  I have tried to research specification data, but most do not show the tender width.  Is the cab too narrow, or is the tender too wide, or is the model correctly proportioned?  Anybody have information on this?  Thank, Dave

Trainman203

I always thought it looked too wide too.  That tender it comes with, although I am sure prototypical,  is not a very good looking one to me, and an unusual one at best.  I am looking for a couple of the low rectangular tenders from either the Spectrum 4-4-0 or the 52" driver 4-6-0.  I've put one of those tenders behind those moguls (don't have a spare one) as a test, and that engine looks much better all around with it it.  Besides, they come with spare part oil bunkers, which is what I really  want for my Gulf South road.

Irbricksceo

I do not have one myself (college has pretty much drained the coffers) but looking at it, the thing that bugs me is that the pilot does not have a deck above it and, the headlight seems... off in size.
Modeling NYC in N

Piyer

While the headlight is prototypical (see the photo of #56 below), it does look a tad absurd.

A pilot deck isn't an absolute necessity, however it definitely needs steps between the running boards and the pilot beam. As built, the model has a single step that leads to a 5-foot (+/-) drop straight onto the pilot wheels. Oops!

As for the tender... I think what's off visually about it is the frame. This size / style of tender tended to have a frame that is narrower than the tank. That overhang was sometimes used for storing a push-pole, re-railers, water hose, or other such tools of the trade as the powers-that-be see fit to equip the locomotive with (see photo of #1376).

~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.

rogertra

Here's what both of mine now look like, it was an easy kitbash.

Cheers

Roger T.

DAVE2744

Thanks for posting the pics piyer.  A picture is sure worth a thousand words.  I see what you mean about the frame being narrower than the water tank.  That takes some of the "clunkyness" away.  I'm going to see if I can modify the B'mann to replicate this.  In looking at the photo of 1376 though, it sure looks as if the tender is even with the sides of the cab.  I'm going to find some steps for the pilot beam, they would certainly add some visual mass to the front.  Thanks again, Dave

electrical whiz kid

Dave;
Roger does good work.  My thoughts on the tender, if you don't mind doing your own alterations, would be to cut off the coal bunker, and make a smaller one; an interesting variation would be wood sideboards with gussets to support it.  I think that might at least give the illusion of not being too imposing.   

Rich
SGT C.

rogertra

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on May 25, 2015, 07:56:15 PM
Dave;
Roger does good work.  My thoughts on the tender, if you don't mind doing your own alterations, would be to cut off the coal bunker, and make a smaller one; an interesting variation would be wood sideboards with gussets to support it.  I think that might at least give the illusion of not being too imposing.  

Rich
SGT C.

Frankly, I was happy with the 2-6-0 tender which is why I left it alone.  I still want to add a polling pole and rerailers but they will come later.

On other locos I have modified the tender as you have suggested.  Here for example on a Russian 2-10-0 where I've added the coal rails as you suggested in addition to changing the dome, sandbox and stack to remove those big Russian ones: -

Here I've shortened the tender of a Spectrum  2-8-0 as I think the one it comes equipped with is a bit large for an engine that spends its time on the way freight: -

Here is a Spectrum 2-8-0 that's been equipped with the tender from a P2K 0-6-0 switcher as I thought the tender was too large for the 0-6-0:-

And here's the P2K 0-6-0 with a sloped back tender that I picked up at a train show and modified to fit on the cut down P2K tender chassis.   I also added the coal rails.

And finally, an IHC 2-10-2 modified with an all weather cab and other details and fitted with a Spectrum Hicken oil tender modified for a coal burning engine, shortened by one water course and modified to go behind an all weather cab:-

Yes, it does seem that kitbashing tenders is my second hobby but it least it gives my fleet a certain GER look.   So don't be afraid to have a go.

Cheers

Roger T.

DAVE2744

Rich - I have viewed Roger's work on this forum and agree - great modeling.

Roger T. - I like the looks of that 2-8-0 w/P2K switcher tender.  I think I'll layout a drawing and start cutting.  I have modified models before, but this is such a overall nice loco I hadn't considered cutting and modifying it.  Dave

GN.2-6-8-0

IIRC The width of the tender was mentioned in the MR review of this engine.
Rocky Lives

DAVE2744

GN 2-6-8-0   By any chance do you recall what issue of MR  carried that review of the B'mann  Mogul?  Dave

rogertra

After reading the comments here about the 2-6-0 tender I had a closer look and yes, it does seem a tad wide.  Without measuring it, it looks to be wider than the loco cab, by about six scale inches.

Cheers

Roger T.

GN.2-6-8-0

The review on this engine is on the MR website,also a nice video,guess I misspoke on the width being mentioned ,didn't see it there must have been elsewhere lol.
Non the less it is a nice little tea kettle for those with tight radius's and desiring a steam locomotive
Rocky Lives

DAVE2744

Update on Mogul tender.  Cab measures 1.280 in. (scale 9 ft 3 in.). Tender measures 1.360 in. ( 9 ft 10 in.).  It appears B'mann needed to accommodate a round speaker -1.110  in., molded rim to set it in - .040+.040, tender body shell thickness - .055+.055, assembly clearance .030+.030 giving total width of 1.360.

I've drawn up my plans for reducing the width to match the cab, and will be using a Railmaster Hobbies DS1424-8 cube speaker.  Have one of these in my B'mann Shay and it sounds fantastic. 

Note concerning B'mann speaker mounting.  Two brass clips held by screws secure the speaker inside plastic rim.  When I removed the shell, the speaker was rattling around in the molded cavity, very loose.  I always thought the sound was not quite right, now I know why. Dave

rogertra

Quote from: DAVE2744 on June 05, 2015, 03:55:38 PM
Update on Mogul tender.  Cab measures 1.280 in. (scale 9 ft 3 in.). Tender measures 1.360 in. ( 9 ft 10 in.).

Dave.

See my post below.   I estimated the tender was six inches wider than the cab.  Seems it's seven inches wider.  Pretty good guess eh?   :)

More importantly, thanks for the tip about the loose speaker.  I'll check my two engines out ASAP.

Cheers

Roger T.