News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Tender-Mogul-width

Started by DAVE2744, May 25, 2015, 02:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAVE2744

Update on tender rework project.  Cut shell, frame etc. to achieve a "lighter" look to the tender.  Width now matches cab.  So much better looking.  Raised the frame rails up into the shell 3 in. so tops of wheels show, as most of the photos I found featured this.  Also moved the frame rails in toward the center to create the "overhang" along the lower edge of the water tank.  I hope these first pictures show. 

http://s930.photobucket.com/user/dave2744/library/MOGULproject2015

If all went OK there should be two pictures, org tender and modified tender.  I hope the full length of the loco and tender are showing, as the Photobucket views appeared to have croppped some of the border off.

I will post my pics of the cutting process if this post worked properly, otherwise I will need some help as to what I did wrong with picture posting process.  Dave

jonathan

You can select the "IMG" address next to your photo and paste directly to your post. Nice work!

Regards,

Jonathan

DAVE2744

Thank you Jonathan for the compliment.  I sure was nervous when I made that first cut into the frame.  I found out that the IMG option is only available when a single picture is in view in Photobucket.  I was in the Library view, and that option is not available there.  I thought it would transfer all the pics in the folder.  Am I understanding correctly that I need to jump back and forth between posting & P'bucket until all pictures are inserted to post?  Thanks, Dave

jonathan

The only way I know is one at a time, back and forth, like you mentioned. There may be a way to select a number of pix and paste all at once, but I don't know how.

Regards,

Jonathan

DAVE2744

Jonathan, thanks for the info on p'bkt.  I noticed that only the "address" of the photos showed in my post.  I was expecting the pictures themselves to be in the post.  What did I miss or do wrong?  Thankyou for your time and help, Dave

PS - I work a split shift, so I usually only get on the computer midday Central time or late evening

Len

You want to use the "Direct" link from Photobucket to copy the URL, the one that starts with "i930" instead of "s930".

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

electrical whiz kid

Last night I was working on my layout and happened to spot a tender from a Roundhouse HOn3 C-25.  I didn't have time last evening, but am going to have a look-see later on.  If this tender is like the shay they produced, then it is a typical "one size fits all" proposition.  Any thoughts from you guys?
Rich C.

SGT C.

Barry Karlberg

Hi Roger:

I always enjoy your simple modifications and wonder if you posted any additional information/photos of how you did the smokebox, headlight modification and did you move the tender back up light to the middle?

Thanks,

Barry 

DAVE2744

Well here goes -  I'll try to post my construction pics here.
http://i930.photobucket.com/albums/ad142/dave2744/mogulmedtender_zpst84ekg2t.jpg

http://i930.photobucket.com/albums/ad142/dave2744/DSCN0664_zpssp0unls4.jpg

The third address was using the "IMG" button.  It only got me a longer address.

Well, something is still not right.  I used the i930 direct button, but only the address shows, no pic!  I'll stop here until I get some more help from you all,

After doing the third pic post using IMG, after about 40 secs, a picture showed up - Amazing.

Yes Jonathan, you were almost dead on with your estimate of the width of tender vs. loco.  Same for using IMG button.

I will start a new post later for a clean start.

Thanks for everyone's help, Dave

DAVE2744

Finally, I think I can now show my alterations to the Mogul tender.  This weekend I pickup a TSU1000 light steam sound decoder and DS1425-8 cube speaker to replace B'mann card & speaker.  Here goes:

Frame rails removed using Zona saw very carefully. 

Removal of all mntg studs, spkr rim, screw studs.  Rear light led mtg left alone.

Fore & aft coal bin walls removed

Side coal bin wall removed - one to go

Coal bin gone rear view

Coal bin gone front view

Rear retaining tabs removed

Center strip area to be removed to reduce width of tender to match loco cab

Separate water tank wall from top deck-1 side only

Water tank wall removed from tank deck and opposite wall

Strip remove from tank deck allowing narrowing of tender

First test fit of narrowed tender shell with loco

Reinforce styrene (white) at new joint in water tank rear wall

Another test fit - moral booster mostly

Side strip removal on bed plate to allow mtg of frame rails closer to centerline

Placement of .020 in. shim (white) to raise bed frame up 3 in. when glued

Frame rails attached to bed plate - note bed intersects rails 1/2 way up

Notches in water tack wall to receive raised frame rails-lower edge

Test fit of bed w/ rails

Filler pieces (white) around new coal bin walls

New tender - right side

New tender - left side

"Builder's Photo"

Top view showing new matching width of loco & tender

Perspective - left side

Perspective - rear quarter

Perspective - rear (seam not finished)

Perspective - rear - elevated

Proto reference-Genesee & Wyoming

Whew! Done.  It went smoother than I thought.  Even remembered to make back ups as I went along.  You know, Murphy is always lurking to strike.

Later I will cut & move stirrup steps outward toward edge of tender.

Thanks again for all the help from everyone,  Dave

jonathan

Glad to see you're getting the hang of photobucket.  Your project went great!

Also appreciate getting to see a bit of your layout in the background.  Brings is all to life...

Thanks for sharing.  Great stuff!

Regards,

Jonathan