Bachmann, Please can we have the J with sound

Started by RGW, May 25, 2015, 08:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RGW

Now that  the the real J is up and running. Might it be a good time for Bachmann to  release there N scale J with  DCC and SOUND. I believe the 2-8-4 has the same driver size ( Exhaust rate should be the same) so would not the same sound decoder work with only different whistle?

the work has already been done with the 2-8-4 so I think adding it to other  LARGER N scale steam would not be too hard.
Bachmann what do you think?

Yes I know I can add my own sound, but I still run DC so I need dualmode.

Mike C

I believe that all decoders made now are dual mode . At least with the non sound decoders . But I think that the sound decoders that are made now are also dual mode . The SoundTraxx Tsunami decoders are dual mode anyway .

ACY

You would likely need to wait 2-3 years because the existing tender would need to redesigned to allow for the installation of DCC and sound. So if Bachmann were to take your suggestion and immediately start plans for a N&W J with sound, it would not be available until 2017 at the earliest,  unless they have already begun development.

Your best option is to purchase any dual mode sound decoder and install it yourself unless you are willing to wait until 2017 or 2018.

As far as decoders go, it is still possible to buy non-dual mode decoders,  that goes for both sound and non-sound, however it is very uncommon to find non-sound non-dual mode decoders,  it is generally worth the extra $5 to get a dual mode decoder. The sound decoders without dual mde are still fairly common and can offer a greater cost savings.

Finding a large variety of compatible sound decoders that are dual mode is extremely easy and any of those would work fine for your purposes.

James in FL

QuoteYou would likely need to wait 2-3 years because the existing tender would need to redesigned to allow for the installation of DCC and sound. So if Bachmann were to take your suggestion and immediately start plans for a N&W J with sound, it would not be available until 2017 at the earliest,  unless they have already begun development.

The J tender is already designed for DCC with a speaker housing already provided.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/N821X-IS001.PDF

kewatin

james you are bang on, the same holds true for their recently released EM-1 with holes already drilled in the tender shell.BACHMANN would probably do a re release of these locos first. while many of us would still prefer a re re lease of their heavy mtn, with sound it would be even more welcome.
regards&later KEWATIN

RGW

I hope that Bachmann will sell the then sound decoder that could just be plugged in with the existing engine wire harness that they now use. I would need to up grade my Js coated nonremovable harness. I already did this on one that was shorting out,I soldered my own wires between the engine and tender ( not fun, using the original pc board and tender contacts) It again shorted out,then I removed all of the pc boards in the engine and tender and solder direct between them. ( the problem ended up being the metal boiler was shorting on the chassis halves) I know this takes out the head light circuit but I burned out the LED when trying to solder on the pc board ( leds do not like track voltage). Now that this engine is some what wire/pc board gutted there is space to do sound mods.

ACY

Quote from: James in FL on May 26, 2015, 11:35:12 PMThe J tender is already designed for DCC with a speaker housing already provided. 
James, I was not aware of this since my N scale J has no such accommodations, it must have been purchased before Bachmann altered the tender design to allow for sound. Thanks for the information.

kmcsjr

Having trouble copying links, on my phone, but check out spookshow.net, for a great review of both versions, of this loco and dcc sound installation in the newer release.