News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Improved pilot for 4-6-0?

Started by Howard240, May 29, 2015, 03:54:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howard240

I read an ad somewhere (Garden Rail Mag?) saying the new 4-6-0 has an improved pilot.  How is it different and is it possible to buy a replacement pilot?

Our outdoor rails have a few dips and twists that cause the pilot to derail, esp. around curves and/or switches.  I've put a weight on the front axel and that helps, but not everywhere.  The best solution, obviously is to repair the track, but my Annie is the only loco that has the problem.

If the new pilot has a shorter wheelbase it seems like it would ride over such places much better.  Any ideas will be appreciated.

Also, thanks to everybody who responded to my voltage question.

Ted Yarbrough

Howard,
The new pilot is on an arm that fastens behind the pilot truck allowing it to swing down as well as pivot. It is better than the one secured by the single screw under the smokebox. I think it was developed by Barry of Barry's Big Train and it works well. I do not know if it is available from Bachmann or not.
Happy Rails To You,
Ted

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Howard,

As Ted said the new pilot truck is based on an after market pilot truck originally made by Barry of Barry's Big Trains. You can buy one from Bachmann's estore.  Not sure if Barry has any, as he is semi retired.  The new truck does not have a shorter wheelbase, but the swing arm definitely improves the tracking of the truck on bad track.   

Here is the link:

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_623&products_id=8545

You should be able to install it by just soldering the two wires being careful about the polarity and drilling one hole for the mounting screw. 

Some have modified the existing truck by adding a brass swing arm bent to the shape of the one in the photo in the link above.

I got a big laugh about your honesty about your poor track ;D ::).  Most are not so honest.  I have often been called upon to trouble shoot derailing problems of this or that locomotive(s).  Some owners at times were insulted :'( ??? when I told them that it was their poorly laid track not their locomotive(s).  Unfortunately the steamers we love with their long wheelbases are very prone to derailment on poorly maintained track while the diesels especially the BB trucked ones can really handle bad track that our steam locos just can't handle.  This is very true when a straight track starts to curve and there is a dip on the outside rail.  BTW your track cannot be that bad if it is only the front truck that derails!!

Anyway hope the new truck works for you!!

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Joe Zullo

As far as I know, Barry Olsen is still selling his 4-6-0 pilot truck kit. I have bought two since he "retired".
He charges about $25 and they are worth the price. You reuse your wheels and axles. PM me for Barry's contact info if you decide to go that route.  ;)

JerryB

Putting Barry's pilot truck on you locomotive should really help with derailments, especially on your less than perfect trackwork.

Also check the back to back spacing of the pilot wheels. Incorrect back to back spacing is also a cause of derailments, especially on turnouts.

The generally accepted standard for back to back wheel spacing is 1.575". Note that this dimension applies to all wheels on LS equipment, but your pilot wheels will definitely be the most sensitive to errors in back to back spacing.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

Howard240

Thank you for the information.  Bachmann is sold out of the new trucks, but I'll get one the other way suggested or use the picture to improve mine.

I don't want to give the idea that our track is poorly installed.  We have a lot of on ground track - some 10 years old -and tree roots grow etc.  As you all know it's a constant job maintaining and repairing it.  The Annie's kind of the canary loco in the mine.

tomplatten

I was totally unable to use my Anniversary 4-6-0 on my ground based garden loop until I bit the bullet and replaced all of the original track with LGB track. What a difference! Now I can not only use my 4-6-0's but can also use my Aristo Diesels with no derailing. Naturally, you have to spend the time to make sure your track is as straight and level as possible. I use decomposed granite as ballast and a carpenter's level. Once my tracks are level I cover them with DG and use a broom to distribute the ballast. Then I gently water the track with a nozzle and let it dry.

on30gn15

Over at Mike's house (I don't have a garden Ry, 2nd floor apartments are a bit short on garden ground) we use my 4-6-0 Big Haulers, or the one SPC Annie, as the fault-finding Guinea pigs on track alignment at new season and after storms - if they succeed, everything else will.

Somewhere in a box within a box is one BBT pilot truck kit awaiting installation.
One thing done before learning about it way back then, was to glue a couple drapery weights over each truck axle.
When PRR loco's truck split the plastic at truck center, it did so in a way which allowed, with a wee bit of ingenuity, the truck to essentially be equalized - that helped bunches.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest