News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

super chief headlight glows but it won't move

Started by NCTyphoonKid, May 30, 2015, 10:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCTyphoonKid

Just bought a super chief Santa fe at hobby lobby it was going fine then stopped the headlight glows but it won't move I've looked at the manual and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong or what I've done wrong

spookshow

I assume that's the Super Chief set that comes with the analog (non-DCC) F7 locomotive?

If the headlight is lit you're getting track current into the chassis just fine, so that eliminates a lot of possibilities.

Do you hear any motor hum at all? If you do, it could be that the gears are stuck. What color are the plastic gears in the trucks? If they're white (rather than black), you have a very old set and the gears are likely shot. If they're black, they probably just need cleaning/lubrication.

If it's not making any noise at all, it probably means that you have a dead motor. Or, it could be bad contact between the motor and the chassis (less likely).

Easiest thing would be to just send it back to Bachmann for warranty replacement.

Cheers,
-Mark

NCTyphoonKid

The motor wouldn't run at all I got it at hobby lobby so I returned it and swapped it out with a thunder valley. I'm thinking someone tried to steal the locomotive at the store since the box was taped up and torn around the engine and there was a couple sets being sold as is from them being stolen/missing. The one I exchanged it with had no issues with the box/packaging.