Setting up JMRI Decoder Pro for "Bachmann" decoders

Started by JimJim, May 29, 2015, 05:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimJim

Hello All,

I'm setting up JMRI Decoder Pro to program my Bachmann decoders. In the list of manufacturers it doesn't list a Bachmann but it does list Lenz as a manufacturer.

Are Bachmann decoders Lenz?

Thank you for your responses.

J.J.
"Uhh...I didn't know it was 'impossible' I just made it work...sorry!"

DAVE2744

J.J. - All the new DCC w/Sound On Board decoders are mfg'd by SoundTraxx, to Bachmann specifications.  They are not Tsunami decoders.  Alot of the CVs are standard, but some are not included, as per B'mann specs.  Good luck, Dave

jonathan

In fact bachmanntrains non-sound, standard decodes are, or were Lenz. Don't know if there has been a change.

Regards,

Jonathan

Hunt

Most decoders factory installed in Bachmann locomotives already set up in Decoder Pro.
Put loco on track and let Decoder Pro find it.

Click Here for JMRI decoder index
Scroll to
Bachmann Trains E-Z Command decoders Family
SoundTraxx (Throttle-Up)   Bachmann Sound Value Family

JimJim

Hello All,

Sorry for the confusion, these are non-sound decoders #44913 type; some have NMRA 8-pin plugs and some I've hard wired in non Bachmann locos.

I'm running the Dynamis system without the ProBox. Currently for programming I'm using a MRC Decoder Dr. on a separate piece of programming track (soon to be the JMRI).

When I get the Decoder Pro set up I'll have it search for the manufacturer of the decoders.

Thank you all for your input and suggestions.

J.J.

Hunt

JimJim,
You cannot use Decoder Pro. Dynamis even with Pro Box add-on does not have computer interface required to use JMRI Decoder Pro.

Hunt

More ---
JimJim,

I do not have convenient access to a MRC Decoder Dr - decoder tester and programmer.

If the MRC Decoder Dr can be interfaced to a PC and use instruction set from JMRI Decoder Pro, then the two function Bachmann basic decoder should be recognized  by Decoder Pro when it reads
  CV 8 = 101 and CV 7 = 46

JimJim

Hello All,

Hello All,

More clarification:

I'm not using the Dynamis system or Decoder Dr. in conjunction with each other or with the JMRI Decoder Pro.

The Dynamis and Decodder DR. are the tools I'm currently using to program the Bachmann branded decoders currently in use. I'm upgrading to JMRI so I don't have to use these systems to program decoders no matter the manufacturer.

The JMRI will have the correct interface between my Mac (yes there is a Mac version) and the programming track using a USB to Serial adapter (see JMRI website).

My original question was, is a Bachmann branded, two function decoder; model #44913 a re-branded Lenz? I still haven't gotten a straight answer to my OP.

Thank you all for your responses, input and concerns.

Hunt

Bachmann partnered years ago with Lenz to create the Bachmann two function decoder.  It is not just a re-banded Lenz decoder.

What DCC programming device (one is required) is connected between your computer running JMRI Decoder Pro and the programming track?

Brewman

No worries using Decoder Pro with the Bachmann decoders. Just let the program do a decoder search. It should come up with the Bachmann family of decoders. I have seen a choice of 2 function or 4 function decoder. I don't know what uses the 4 function, I have only seen 2 function. There may be an option for a 3 function that I believe the EM-1 uses. There are not a lot of options available to adjust, mostly address, start voltage, and maybe lighting intensity. I have programmed mine and several club members Bachmann locomotives using JMRI.
Just a note, if you find the locomotive is slow to start and has low top speed, check the start voltage setting. I have found some have a start voltage set at 10. I change it to 0 and the locomotives responds a lot better.

Bucksco

Bachmann motor decoders are manufactured by Bachmann using a Lenz design.