News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

1:20.3 Spectrum Forney electeonics

Started by Tom Rey, May 30, 2015, 07:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Rey

I've been garden railroading for 20 years now but this is the first Airwire G3 and Phoenix P8 sound I've tried to install myself since the tragic passing of Mike Pfulb, who did all our installations here in San Diego.

I just purchased a forney and can't get the chuff or the headlight to work.  Everything else does.  So, obviously, I'm doing something wrong.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Tom,

Not familiar with Airwire only the P8.  If you do not have the wiring diagram for your Forney this link will take you there.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/LS_Baldwin_2-4-4_Forney.connection_diagram.pdf

Start by checking the connections from the chuff sensors to the P8.  Check the Phoenix site to see if they have specific instructions for the Forney related to connecting the chuff sensor to the P8.

The guys at Phoenix are incredibly helpful so you may want to call them  for help. They are vary helpful with great knowledge on specific problems.

I have no suggestions on how the Airwire controls the lights so can't help there except to say after a good rest go back and start over completely following the instructions for the lighting circuits making sure they are correct.  In many cases a simple reversing of the wires to the headlight will do the trick since the LED's are polarity sensitive.

That is all I can offer, hopefully others will have better ideas.

Good Luck.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Tom Rey

Thanks Bill,

I've got all the wiring diagrams and I called Phoenix the other day.  I did what they said, but still nothing. I left a couple of phone messages for Al at CVP as well as an e-mail but their plate is probably full right now with all that rain they're getting.  I'm gonna start over and see where I missed something.

Thanks again.

Tom

StanAmes

Tom

Airwire now has a plug in board for future installs.

The key to making the chuff work is ensuring that the +- on the Bachmann board is powered.  Easily checked with a volt meter.

If not powered the fans, the chuff and most of the lights will not work.  If the fan is working you have power.  No fan = no power

Normally when you place something in the socket, that devices powers the + and -  If nothing is in the socket and you are using batteries, simply connect the batteries to the + and - connections on the Bachmann board.

You may also have to connect the phoenix ground to the - connection.  Most times this is not necessary.

Hope that helps

Stan

Tom Rey

Spoke with Al at cvpusa yesterday. I had hooked up the headlight feature just as he said to do.  Still nothing.  As for power, I attached the motor leads from the Forney to the proper airwire terminals and, as I said before, the engine runs both forward and reverse.  The appropriate whistle signals and grade crossing whistle works.  Bell also works...just no chuff sounds.  Blowdown,but no chuff.  So, I know that both airwire and Phoenix boards are doing their jobs.  I just wonder if there is a problem with part of that PC dummy board with all the wires that Bachmann says to use(?).

StanAmes

Tom

Please reread my message above

If you want to PM me we can talk on the phone.

If you do not have DC voltage at the +and - terminals on the Bachmann board you will not get the features you desire.  If there is nothing in the socket and you have not hooked up the + and - connection you will not have DC voltage to the locomotive which is needed to get these functions working,

If the fan is not running you do not have DC voltage on the board.

To solve your problem we need to know what is in the socket and what connections you have made from the Airwire board and the batteries to the Bachmann board

Stan

Tom Rey

Hi Stan,

Thanks for the info.  The main board wasn't powered with that socket with all the wires .  So, we put in the one that was inserted when I got the engine.  We did as you suggested and now everything works as it should.  For some reason the PC board with all the wires didn't work.  Now it's all good.

Thanks again.

Tom

StanAmes

Tom

Glad it worked

For future reference.  If you use the board with all the wires then you need to connect the + and - wires on that board to DC power.  If these wires are not connected to DC power (such as the Battery) then the internal locomotive electronics are not powered.

The Dummy PC board has a built in rectifier and makes the connection for you.

Stan

Tom Rey