News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

A perfect Deep South model railroad day

Started by Trainman203, June 07, 2015, 04:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainman203

Up north, the season for model railroading is winter.  Winter is our mild out door season herre.  With temperatures averaging in the 50s it is when we get our outdoor work done.  We last saw snow about 10 years ago, and then it only lasted a day.  Summer is our model railroad season down here.

Today it is 92 outside.  It's beautiful but I don't want to be out there glazing my windows.  Instead, I am looking at the sunshine out the window while switching the Midland Yard with my (Bachmann content) Bachmann MP light 4-8-2 I found at a Shreveport hobby shop a few years ago.

Well, I feel like it's time for a little nippy nap.  In about a half hour I'll be at it switching some more, getting ready for the 8 pm departure of the Midland Limited (20mph steam local freight with wood combine on the end.)

jward

if I lived in the south i'd give up modeling altogether and just chase trains all year......
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Trainman203

You'd have to like modern railroading.  I don't ever go out to watch anymore, it's just too hot.  Besides, the CSX mainline runs  2 houses away from our house in Pass Christisn MS.  You just have to look out the window.  There's a train at least every hour and a half or so.  I hardly ever do though, just not much interesting, I'm not into stack  trains and modern road diesels.

There still are a couple of shortlines down here that operate in much the old fashioned way.  They have the small yards and shops so beautifully to layouts.  Gotta go soon.

jward

I do like modern railroading. I do like observing a prosperous, well maintained railroad in operation. I think it is a refreshing change from the weed invested catastrophe railroading was just a few short years ago. Trains don't derail in the yard, while sitting still, anymore. Locomotives actually produce more horsepower than smoke. tracks aren't sinking in the mud anymore.

There are some things I miss, but as a whole, I am fortunate enough to witness firsthand the rebirth of an industry many had given up as a lost cause 40 years ago. We came very close to large parts of the rail system going the way of the Rock Island, now those same lines are a well oiled machine. Plus I have seen 4 heritage units in the past 2 days. What's not to like?

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Trainman203

I don't dislike modern railroading ...... I just saw steam when steam was almost entirely  running things, and never got over it.