how to add remote sound and stronger smoke unit to Bachmann trains

Started by JOEYTEE, June 01, 2015, 08:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOEYTEE

can anyone help with how to add a smoke unit with fan and a remote sound unit ?? and does anyone recommend anyone ?? thanks 

Chuck N

What engine are you asking about? A steam or diesel to start with?  There is no universal answer to your question.  The electronic connections in our engines have evolved over time.  Please be as specific as possible as to what engine you are asking about.  A number from the box would be best.

Is it a Spectrum or a big hauler?

Bachmann has made a number of different engines.

Chuck

JOEYTEE

big hauler 4-6-0 #81095 south pacific coast large scale anniversary
thank you

Chuck N

Thanks for the information.  I don't have that engine, but I'm sure with the information you added some one will be able to help.

Chuck

PS In the future, the more information you can give us the better chance there will be for a helpful answer.

PPS The first thing I do with a new engine is disconnect the smoke unit, either cut the wires or throw the switch.  Outside it barely shows and inside the smell can get a little strong.  For me it has always seemed to be more trouble than it was worth, but that is just my opinion.

Loco Bill Canelos

Go up to the search button and search on Smoke unit.   You will get many discussions about smoke units the following being one of them.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,30056.0.html

Do you want to remotely control your locomotive and also the sound or just the sound??  Again there are many items about sound and remote control try a search on both sound and on remote control and you will learn a lot.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

RkyGriz

Hello, JOEYTEE. In my opinion, the factory smoke unit installed on the anniversary 4-6-0 is just about as good as it gets. I have 3 Anniversary 4-6-0 locomotives and they're all pretty much the same. The amount of smoke each smoke unit produces is dependent upon how many volts are being used to run your train.The higher the voltage, the more smoke produced.  My original issue was that I was wondering if there was something better to produce more,thicker, and longer lasting smoke. Alas, there is no real solution to this problem since the smoke produced by these G Scale locos is white in color and dissipates quickly even in an enclosed room. You can try other types of smoke fluid such as Mega Steam which I hear produces a large amount of smoke. It also comes in a variety of scents and is compatible with most factory smoke units. Personally, I use Bachmann smoke fluid, which has a tendency to spatter at higher temperatures so you may want to keep a small, soft towel handy. I have asthma and it doesn't bother me. I don't notice any smell with this product,either.
Here's a video of one of my other locomotives with a Seuthe #7(Same as LGB)  which I installed in the locomotive as it doesn't come equipped with smoke unit installed in the stack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22-QUXqyJIA
And here's a video of one of my Bachmann Anniversary Edition locos with the smoke going:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S2CN7kfya4
Decide for yourself, but for the money, I'd just stick with the Bachmann factory installed smoke unit. Either that, or like Chuck and Bill suggested, just turn off the smoke unit. I find that there's not much difference in the enjoyment level of these  trains whether the smoke unit is going or not as I only run smoke fluid in mine occasionally and leave them turned off the majority of the time.
Hope this helps! Later.

Chuck N

This is one reason why I don't like or use smoke generators, especially for longer stacks.

I ran this Mogul dry with the smoke generator on for a while before I noticed it was dry.  It got warm enough to soften the plastic. There is a slight bend and about 1/3 of the way up there is a slight ballooning.

Chuck