News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Getting to the motor in the Jupiter

Started by trainstrainstrains, June 08, 2015, 06:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainstrainstrains

I have read the articles in Trainbuddy.com  "Bachmann 4-4-0 decode with Train Control Systems M1 decoder Space" and also the article "MORE 4 4 0 Jupiter questions."
Yet I feel I need more foolproof graphic step by step instruction on opening the tender of the Jupiter to be able to insulate  the motor and connect it to the decoder. Preferably with pictures or a video.
Too much to ask? I hope not because I really want to hear that Jupiter shuffing. I don't need space because I will install decoder and speaker in the following car, I just need to get to the motor.

ACY

There might be someone that can provide a few pictures but you can't count on that, unfortunately it is most likely to much to ask, but I wish you luck in your search.

James in FL

"To disassemble the tender, first remove the screws on the bottom and then take off the trucks, pickup springs and contact plates. To get at the motor you have to pry the large weight off of the forward end of the chassis. Once that's removed, the motor should slide right out."

Quoted from the Spookshow website here;
http://www.spookshow.net/loco/bach440a.html

trainstrainstrains

O.K!    That last article was the missing link, and from it I've learnt it's an American not a Jupiter, and it was made in China between 1998 and 2014.  It's not a very smooth runner , the shaft makes a lot of noise, It's my first N scale, and for $18 for the loco plus 2 beautifull passenger cars I can't complain. I wonder whether it's worth opening it and installing the decoder in it. If I could somehow improve the running when I open it by cleaning it and what not then I think it will be worth it.
later the same day :)........I take it back, after running awhile I felt it was running better, I turned down the throttle very low and it kept on going, very slowly with very little noise and without derailing. The lubricant was probably dry from not running.

Mike C

I don't have one of these , but your on the right track . Usually the more you run a loco the better it gets. I've had to let a couple of mine run on an oval overnight to get them to run smoother and quieter . Some people take them apart to smooth any rough edges in the mechanism .  As far as the decoder goes I think it should be no problem to put it in a following car , you'll just have to run the wires between the tender and car .  Your also correct in thinking that if the loco isn't running smooth its not worth it to ad a decoder to it . A decoder won't improve the running qualities of a loco that doesn't run well .

plas man

see as you are adapting a box car/ combine or whatever , why not power the said car and have a dummy loco , perhaps a 70 tonner chassis will fit in the said car/combine