Remove and replace cab instructions on 4-6-0 large scale

Started by dan sprung, June 08, 2015, 08:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan sprung

Hello Bachmann forum,
I'm a newbie to model trains and on receiving my first G scale starter set ( Silverado ) my engine came with a broken engine cab. Bachmann was very nice in sending me a new replacement cab at no charge, but after removing the 2 visible screws under the cab it did not release cab from body! I don't want to force anything and brake something else so can anyone share the proper procedure in removing the cab on this engine? Thanks much, Dan.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Dan,

It has been awhile since I did it, but I will try to help.  Looking at your cab you will see the four elongated holes on the bottom that fit into the tabs on the chassis and boiler.  The rear tabs at the rear must be released in order for the cab to be lifted from the rear to allow the cab front to slide out of the tabs on the boiler.   There are no screws actually holding the cab on only the four tabs.  The problems is getting it done without breaking anything. I seem to remember removing the boiler and cab from the chassis to make it easier, but you  must for sure remove all the piping and handrails that prevent the cab from rocking forward to allow the front tabs to slide out of the slots.  I can't remember if I had to remove the generator just in front of the cab or not.

It takes a lot of work and patience to replace the cab and I am not sure my remembrances above will be helpful enough.  Hopefully someone who has done it more recently will have better advice.

Bill

corrected spelling
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

tomplatten

If I were in your position, I would box the engine up and send it to Bachmann. If this was a new set, you should not have to try to disassemble your engine and risk breaking something else. Bachmann will likely send you another locomotive and throw your in the parts pile!!!! Look at your warranty instructions before sending it back. For those of us that have model railroading since dirt was invented replacing the cab would probably be routine. For you it is not and you shouldn't be put in that position on a new item!

RkyGriz

I have to agree with Tom on this one. There is a lot of work involved with taking this loco apart. I've taken my Anniversary Edition Big Haulers apart a few times, and getting them apart isn't hard, it can be a little tricky when you put them back together. The Silverado is a Standard Edition set with the Virginia Truckee #26 locomotive( which , while inaccurately painted and detailed for the actual V&T #26, is the most beautiful locomotive that Bachmann ever made. A very good choice in my opinion!). Coincidentally, the #26 was the first Big Hauler that I ever bought and it was also the first one that I took apart and I found that the little"stirrups" on the underside of the cab can be broken easily(thin plastic) and if you've never tried taking one apart, I don't recommend it. Call and talk to Bachmann Customer service before you do anything. I've gotten them to pay shipping both ways in the past for repairs. Explain to them that it's a brand new set and maybe they'll help you out on shipping.
Good luck and enjoy your new train!

on30gn15

Yep, as described, pretty much have to take the boiler off in order to get the cab off.
Primary culprits are those tabs from running boards - and the boiler has to come off to get the running boards off on account of how they interlock with boiler.

And yes, it is a pretty engine.
I'm the kind of person who wants to know how it comes apart anyway, because I want to do things to it.
On mine, the blue boiler jacket got painted a more realistic grey - but real life polished ones did reflect the sky and look blueish under blue sky.
And, the cars are getting repainted from the 1900s yellow to one of the reds used in 1800s. Some greens were even used on some styles of coach. And a tan or cream color on some really early coaches.
And then the smokebox with extension for internal coal fired cinder catcher was sawn off at the rivets and the ornate wood burning stack replaced with a plain one. And other changes here and there.

If you have the nerve to saw and hack and drill on a $400 train, and the skill, the 4-6-0 are fun locomotives to do things to.

Hey, boys, I need to look in the V&T book ...

(photo from several years back, the little one is bigger now)
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

on30gn15

The internet is great - but sometimes I really wish we all lived just across town from each other and we could go help.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest