GP 40 Union Pacific has no unit number DC to turn into DCC

Started by Brett1972, June 09, 2015, 04:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brett1972

Hi, I'm new at this. I just got a old Bachmann HO scale GP 40 Union Pacific train (it has no UP # on the side of it-but best number I could find to close match the details of this shell is a UP #1481-a mother unit?), im sure it is a DC unit with a circit board number H635X+PCB02A.PCB (or Bachmann part number H63521),

I would love to convert to DCC and if possible to a sound unit as well but all else if only DCC thats fine.. I tried to find a compatable board like say from TCS but with no luck.

My question is what Bachmann circit board or number I can use to purchase a DCC version of this H635X+PCB02A.PCB DC version board to at least run with DCC if not with a DCC sound too?? Im also looking for a price so I can order. it be great thanks and hope to hear a reply soon.

Thanks again,

Brett ( I highly lover of my Bachmann Spectrum 4-8-2 light Mountain train since its purchase of 1998)

richardl

This should be in the HO forum but it will be moved.

Here is a link to the SoundTraxx forum. I can only recommend SoundTraxx as that is what Bachmann uses.

Bachmann does not sell sound decoders.

It is a PC board type decoder as you probably know. The instructions come with the decoder. I have installed some in other brands of diesels.

You have to replace the PC board. SoundTraxx also sells a non sound decoder.
Either way, this will be a hard wire project.
Most diesels have the speaker in the oil tank. Probably have to drill holes.
Bit of a challenge if new to DCC.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php?action=post;topic=30309.0;num_replies=0

In a search, a few have used a TSU-1000, a shrink wrapped decoder.

Others will comment.

Rich

ACY

Any HO DCC decoder that suits your fancy will suffice, adding sound is probably not something you want to attempt at this time unless you are very confident in your skills and abilities. There just is not very much room for a sound installation in this locomotive without some rather advanced modifications such as milling etc...
Installing a non-sound DCC decoder is not out of the question, make sure you are familiar with what wires go where and to insulate properly to avoid the "magic smoke."

richardl

If I see the parts correctly, the first PC board is a non sound decoder PC board with lights.
The second is just a PC board with lights, two inductors and caps for DC
The third is just lights for DC.

Something to consider in the future. Get an account with Photo Bucket or Flicker for posting photos here. A picture is worth a thousand words and can help others to help solve an issue much quicker.
I and some others use Photo Bucket so I will post the link here.
There are four options. Use the one labeled, IMG. That way the picture show up without anyone having to copy and paste a link.

http://photobucket.com/

Scroll down to General Questions in the Bachmann site. Instructions are there.

Rich

jward

there are numerous non sound decoders that can be hardwired into this locomotive. choose one with a wire harness but no plug on the end, if you are handy with a soldering iron and voltmeter you should be able to do this with no problems. connect one wire at a time, and do a continuity checque after each solder joint is made to ensure you haven't inadvertently created a short. work slowly and methodically, and you will be fine. remember, the first decoder install is the hardest, and after you have done one the others will be easier as you get familiar with the process. I wish I had a photo tutorial to point you to, but I don't.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

richardl

This is were you have to use your imagination. As an example, I bought some 1/16 inch ID shrink tube to insulate some wire splices. It even has the NMRA colour code.
Couple installs I use some Vero board with six traces to solder the wires to without using shrink tube. Mount the Vero board with foam double sided tape.
I ordered the Vero board from the UK, via ebay. I use to experiment with different kinds of electronic projects.
I have mounted a couple Tsunami decoder board using the same foam tape. Attached it to the top of the frame or motor. Works with shrink wrapped decoders.

Rich