2-6-0 Mogul DCC/Sound, derails, causes, solution

Started by DAVE2744, June 14, 2015, 06:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAVE2744

Just bought a second B'mann 2-6-0 DCC w/sound (new).  Runs as fine as the first one.  Until it hit a PECO curved switch. Dropped the pilot truck & 1st axle onto the ties.  My other Mogul runs this switch hundereds of time, no problem.  As with most things, the end result is the culmination of many contributing factors.  The wheels are all in perfect NMRA gauge.  Factor 1 - Inside diverging set of rails on the Peco switch is not a true radius.  It has a slight jog on the outside points rail. Factor 2 - This 2nd Mogul does not have as much side play in the driver axles as the 1 yr. old unit.  Factor 3 - The new unit wheel rims appear to be not as smooth a finish as the older unit.  Bottom line is: When loco rode over the moveable switch points, the jog in the point rail(s) caused the fairly ridgid chassis to bind, and up & over the rails she went.  Solution: Remove gear/axle cover plate.  On the 2nd (center) axle position only,  file down the plastic tab that juts out from the body of the plastic cover.  This allows the 2nd axle to have more side play.  These "tabs" are meant to keep the back face of the drivers from contacting the cast metal frame,  so be sure to leave some tab exposed.  Result: No more derailments.  Another fine running loco from B'mann.  Yes, I have to narrow up the tender.  I liked Johnathan's slope back tender.  Might try that for something different.  Dave

electrical whiz kid

Dave;
I am still looking hungrily at the tender that came with a Roundhouse 2-8-0 HOn3 and I believe that they were "interchangeable per gauge...As was the locomotive cab.
I want to put a built-up wooden bunker with gussets on the outside of it; as well as the rest of the "window dressing"...

RIch C.

DAVE2744

Rich C. - I did consider a wooden bunker, but I was in a rush to get this thing modified, I just went with the steel look.  I think a wooden bunker w/detail would be just the ticket. Dave