News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Power for Turnout 44561

Started by jdr6, June 11, 2015, 03:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdr6

I recently purchased my first Bachmann turnout 44561 and did not realize that it needed separate power.  Question:  Do I need to purchase a separate power pack (recommended Bachmann Power Pack 44212) or is there a way to connect the turnout into my already purchased EZ Command Digital Control Center?

richardl

Yes, you need the AC power from the pack. You can pick one up on ebay for less.
The EZ terminology can be confusing to some if that was the issue. Bachmann way of saying, easy.

Found this in a Google search.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,9415.0/wap2.html

The EZ Command can operate the Bachmann DCC turnouts from what I have read here.

Rich

jdr6

Thank you Richardl.  Do I do some splicing into my track wiring to get the power out of the EZ Command Power Pack?  I don't see any input points on that power pack for the turnout.

richardl

Quote from: jdr6 on June 11, 2015, 06:19:49 PM
Thank you Richardl.  Do I do some splicing into my track wiring to get the power out of the EZ Command Power Pack?  I don't see any input points on that power pack for the turnout.

I guess you could if you are comfortable with wiring end electrical. Just don't use the DCC power.l It is kind of like AC but jot usable for turnouts. I would prefer a separate pack though. Turnouts requite quite a lot of power for an instant. No idea if the EZ Command would like it.

Even a AC wall wart would work.

You did say, splicing into my track wiring. Not exactly sure what you meant.

At first I thought you wanted to slice into the power out of the pack that goes to the EZ Command.

I and others will suggest a separate power pack.

No idea how familiar you are with DCC.

Rich

kdgrant6

Are you running a DCC Bachmann system?  If so, you may want to consider returning the 44561 and purchasing a 44130, which you can control with your EZ Command Controller.  Then there is no need to buy another power supply.

I bought two of these from Bachmann's Repair facility for $18 each (including shipping).  (Look on their website.  The representative I spoke with referred to them as manual turnouts, but they're DCC.  And they seem to have them lying around.)

richardl

That is a good idea also.

Rich

kdgrant6

jdr,

So much of our comments will depend upon where you are in this hobby and where you want to go. 

What do you have now? 
How much do you want to expand?

richardl

All Electronics has Wall Warts, Wall Transformers for under ten dollars. I just looked. 15 VAC or 16 VAC.

Rich

jdr6

Thank you to all for your guidance.  It has been very helpful.  I think I will return the 44561 and get the DCC turnout.  I'm a novice but received the starter set as a DCC and have been trying to build on that.  I currently have four engines and about 20 cars.  My table runs along three walls and is about 30' in total length with track on two levels.  Not sure where I will go from here as far as table space but I have plenty of room for scenery and landscaping, bridges, etc. that I still need to do a lot on.  I read where a 65 year old decided to hire experts to build his layout because he didn't think he would get it completed.  I'm four years older than that but I will keep chipping away at it.  Thanks again to all.