News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

trim a tree

Started by theguns, June 11, 2015, 08:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theguns

??? Hello the depot,  I recently ran across a bachmann train called the trim a tree train set.   I have never seen one of these before so I grabbed it for a song.  According to the brochure that comes with the set, once your tree is set up you add the trim a tree train set.  this is a complete box with nothing missing and I was surprised to see it ready to go.   My grandson, son and myself set it up (without the tree) for a trail run.   Wow what a great little train. It has only one speed, fast, haha.  We really are having a good time..  My question is I have never seen or heard of this train set and bachmann doesn't carry it anymore so I am interested in the age of the set and any info pertaining to the set?  thanks for any help in this matter.    changing the topic.  I just registered on the forum and am really impressed with the info that I have run across.  You folks know your stuff.  I've been a train nut for many years (I'm 76)  and I'm glad to be able to discuss trains and train related matters.  Again thank you for allowing me to join the forum .

richardl

A quick Google search says it is an N scale train set. What else do you see on the box label. There is an N scale forum here also if that is what you have.
Different forums for different scales here.
What you see when you get to the website is the general Discussion forum.

Rich

NarrowMinded

Welcome to the forum!

NM-Jeff

James in FL

Yes, N scale.
I remember the set from about 1990 or so, may have been introduced before that, I don't know. Maybe someone who has some old Bachmann or Walthers catalogs might wish to chime in.
IIRC it was the basic Jupiter (American?) 4-4-0 lokie, and a flat with 2 water barrels on it, a gondola, a box car, and a bobber.
That same consist was also available in an old timer set, no longer produced, which I bought way back (25?) years ago.
Other than the part that mounts to the tree, the lokie and cars are readily available.
I do not recall if it came with EZ track which was a new product about that same time.
I've added new wheels, trucks, and couplers to all. I got the bobber to roll fairly free but not as well as the cars.
To this day, lokie runs very well, traction tires are well worn but still OK.
Although those little steamers go excessively fast, I suggest the one speed fits all is maybe a problem within your power supply rather than the loco, but then again, it maybe grandson's preference.
It's a fun set, enjoy it together.

Good luck