Original EKJr Roustabout Circus caboose photo

Started by Tardisious, June 28, 2015, 08:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tardisious

I am looking for a high res scan of the photo in the The Bachmann catalog of the original circus caboose. The picture in the catalog has a caboose with graphics that where never produced. I would like to try to replicate the graphic.  Does anyone have a catalog pic that they  can scan at hi res?
Thanks

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi,

The caboose you are referring to was in the 1993 catalog on page 43.  If you are trying to reproduce the image of the oval graphic with Emmett Kelley it is basically the same graphic used on the All star circus combine on page 45 of the catalog but without the outer ring and slightly smaller in size. Ekj's head is also slightly smaller.

If you have the combine you will be able to take your own hi res image with a straight side shot,which will be better than any image taken of the  caboose in the catalog since the caboose is basically a right oblique shot rather than a straight side shot.

for others info:
The original set 90019 called The Roustabout was advertized in the 1993 catalog but was never produced.  It showed a 2-4-2 locomotive and tender, a flat car with two cage wagons (lion & tiger) and the bobber caboose all decorated in the Emmett Kelly Jr. style.   When the second set 90019 also called "The Roustabout"  was released in 1997 it had an 0-4-0 locomotive, and the cage car had the giraffe and hippo and a bobber caboose with the letters "All Star Circus" on the side as opposed to the oval graphic with Emmett Kelley Jr in it pictured in the 1993 catalog.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Tardisious

Thank you very much for the information.  At first I thought the same thing that the graphic on the caboose was the same as the combine, however it has an entirely different face on the logo. As best I can tell without a nice hi res pic the face actually resembles Emmett Kelly Sr. not Emmett Kelly Jr.  I have taken a rather low res photo of the catalog page and corrected the angle of perspective the result is here.
https://twitter.com/RonBogner/status/615566035391938560

This could even be a piece of paper glued on just for the catalog shoot!

I wonder what the story is behind this initial graphic. Did someone draw EKSr instead of Jr. the first time around?

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi,

I believe the the image is glued on to  the side of the caboose, but under close magnification I am also convinced the image is exactly the same as that on the combine. Exactly the same hat, Eyebrows match perfectly, Sideburns, ear position, nose, mouth and beard all exactly the same.  Even the lettering is the same in the oval and in the same position, right down to the "JR." at the bottom. I believe someone made a photo copy in color but the colors and lettering came out lighter than the original.  Unfortunately your low res image is too fuzzy to be of help. The main difference I see under magnification is the lighter colors, other than that, things are the same.  It does not appear to be original artwork, but just a poorly cut out copy of the original artwork for the combine.  My sources indicate that the image on the combine is from the original artwork authorized under the EKJ license.

Why not take a hi res image yourself??   What to you is considered to be hi res??
I do not have a hi res camera or I would send you one. 

Bill

Edited to add missing information and correct spelling

Tardisious

I don't have a hard copy of the catalog or I would have put it on my flat bed scanner! I found the picture on the internet. Thank you for your replies.

Loco Bill Canelos

OK, now I understand.   Here is the best I can do it is from the catalog.  I do not have a great camera but it may be  better than the ones from the internet.

Hope it is of some help.

Tardisious

Thank you! I will see what I can  do with this.