News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

What? How does one break an eccentric crank?

Started by on30gn15, June 24, 2015, 07:58:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

on30gn15

Yesterday I took my PRR 0-6-0 to model train club to work on and run; was probably the first time in at least a year, maybe two, or more, that the loco had seen daylight.
Took it out of the tackle box insert thing I keep it in - and - found the eccentric crank on one side to be broken.
Whaaaaaaaaat ???

How did that happen? When did that happen?
and I can't imagine how it would have happened in there

but, yeah, that ain't gonna run like that

Looks like I'm going to have to write and send a letter - parts sheet makes zero mention of the eccentric crank's existence, http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/50601.pdf Or even which subassembly it would be attached to, the wheels, from which it can be unbolted; or, the cylinder and valve gear part, which it is riveted to the link from, which in turn is riveted to the cylinder and valve gear part.

All I really need to have is a new crank and a rivet, I can do the riveting work myself.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

jonathan

on30,

Hard to see exactly what is broken from the photograph. Did the rivet slip out of the eccentric crank?  Is the crank damaged like the hole end is cracked? If the fix is simply a broken rivet, I would remove the eccentric crank, lightly pound in a new rivet and re-attach the eccentric crank. 

Otherwise, for $10, you can order a new cylinder/valve gear mechanism, and replace everything at once.  Not the easiest job in the world for these little locos. With slow and easy movements, it could be done.

Regards,

Jonathan

GN.2-6-8-0

Yep' looks like the rivet came out,not unheard off,hopefully it can be replaced fairly easily.
Rocky Lives

on30gn15

The crank itself broke, losing one side of rivet hole.

I'm still waiting to get seom sleep after getting almost zero sleep last night, for no known reason. Will look at replies more indepth after, hopefully, sleeping some today.

As it happens, US Postal Service tracking number says the NC&StL 0-6-0 with Vanderbilt tender and black and white lettering is to be delivered today.

I am looking forward to buying one of this in a couple months
"N.C. & St. L. #152 - USRA 0-6-0 w/ Short Haul Tender"
http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=258_276_286&products_id=5721 I'm trying to do trains on disability income, so things happen slowly.
later, Forrest

rogertra

Quote from: on30gn15 on June 24, 2015, 10:03:14 AM
The crank itself broke, losing one side of rivet hole.

I'm still waiting to get seom sleep after getting almost zero sleep last night, for no known reason. Will look at replies more indepth after, hopefully, sleeping some today.

As it happens, US Postal Service tracking number says the NC&StL 0-6-0 with Vanderbilt tender and black and white lettering is to be delivered today.

I am looking forward to buying one of this in a couple months
"N.C. & St. L. #152 - USRA 0-6-0 w/ Short Haul Tender"
http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=258_276_286&products_id=5721 I'm trying to do trains on disability income, so things happen slowly.

Had a similar thing happen to one of my Alco 2-6-0s, fortunately still under warranty and it was replaced and returned in less two weeks.

Only thing was I filled out the form saying the loco was detailed and also enclosed a letter saying I wanted at least the body back as it was detailed, modified, custom lettered and weathered but all to no avail.  Service department just ignored all that and sent me another loco with some road name on it so I had to repaint, re-decal, re-detail, weather and move the headlight and generator, again.

While the turnaround was excellent, the fact they ignored my requests was a bit of a downer.  So be warned, if I have to send a loco back again, I'm removing the body, both engine and tender for steam and telling Bachmann service why. 

Cheers

Roger T.

on30gn15

Quote from: rogertra on June 24, 2015, 08:47:22 PM
Only thing was I filled out the form saying the loco was detailed and also enclosed a letter saying I wanted at least the body back as it was detailed, modified, custom lettered and weathered but all to no avail.  Service department just ignored all that and sent me another loco with some road name on it so I had to repaint, re-decal, re-detail, weather and move the headlight and generator, again.

While the turnaround was excellent, the fact they ignored my requests was a bit of a downer.  So be warned, if I have to send a loco back again, I'm removing the body, both engine and tender for steam and telling Bachmann service why. 

That is a several times told tale over the decades on the large scale trains web forums; I had already decided that with my health being the mess it is, there is no way on God's green earth, or the opposite locality, that I'm sending in something I have worked on, I don't have the health to do things twice. (sometimes I don't even have it to do things once)
later, Forrest

trainable

Makes ya think which technician/employee/friend/family member was the recipient or all that excellent work doesn't it? I have a friend who sent in his 2-8-2 that he had weathered and detailed in an admittedly poor way and was hoping that they would just can it and send a new shell. Guess what? He got his ugly one back with a brand new loco underneath!! Hows that for stunning?
Things that make ya go Hmmmm....

rogertra

What is Bachmann's response to this thread regarding custom detailed, decaled and weathered locos being returned for warranty work and not getting the original body shell(s) back, even though the correct forms were filled out and covering letters sent?

Is it permitted to remove superstructures from locomotives being returned for warranty work or not?

I for one was really disappointed not to get the superstructure back from my customised 2-6-0 after I'd put in several hours of work on the loco.

I can't help notice Admin has been quiet on this subject.

Cheers

Roger T.

Bucksco

All you need to do is call the service department, ask for the service manager and explain the situation. You will be given your options and work out what is best for you. There are no conspiracies or hidden agendas.

rogertra

Quote from: Yardmaster on June 26, 2015, 12:19:42 PM
All you need to do is call the service department, ask for the service manager and explain the situation. You will be given your options and work out what is best for you. There are no conspiracies or hidden agendas.

IIRC, there is a form you fill out that asks if there's been custom work done.  I also sent a covering letter asking for the original body back. All to no avail. So why should I also call?  I'd done my due diligence. 

I realise that economically, for Bachmann, it's more cost efficient to just send a new model rather than take the time to repair the one sent back but Bachmann service needs to realise this is a hobby for all your customers.  For us, it's not a business and we can put hours of work and a little money into your locomotives adapting them to our needs and to send them back for repairs and not getting the original body back is really disappointing.  We are not all just taking models out of the box and happily running them as provided by Bachmann.

From comments seen on the board, I'm not the first one this has happened to.

Yes, Bachmann has a great turnaround time and great warranty, don't get me wrong but it would have been nice if my written request had been respected or at least acknowledged and something worked out.

Cheers

Roger T.

James in FL

It didn't happen sitting still in the box.
Looks to me like it just wore through and finally broke.
How many hours on it?
Understand that's all moot at this point.
Looks like you're going to have to buy the entire assembly if you can.
Or a donor.
As the Yardmaster said, a call wouldn't hurt.
Good luck

Bucksco

"For us, it's not a business and we can put hours of work and a little money into your locomotives adapting them to our needs and to send them back for repairs and not getting the original body back is really disappointing."

Perhaps you could remove the body and tender shell and just send the chassis?

rogertra

Quote from: Yardmaster on June 26, 2015, 03:46:33 PM
"For us, it's not a business and we can put hours of work and a little money into your locomotives adapting them to our needs and to send them back for repairs and not getting the original body back is really disappointing."

Perhaps you could remove the body and tender shell and just send the chassis?

Is that permitted?  If it is, I think it's the best idea.  At least that way we keep the detailed body and the extra details are less likely to get damaged in transit.

I'll do that next time.  If there is a next time.  I usually fix most things myself.   :)

Cheers

Roger T.

DAVE2744

on39gn15 - In looking at the largest blowup picture, something seems strange about the eccentric.  If you look at the edges of the stamping, they are not smooth.  Compare this to the eccentric rod that is disconnected from the crank.  Almost looks like something was "eating" away at the eccentric, or the eccentric and the eccentric rod are two different metals,  and an electrolysis situation was setup.  In that case, any humidity getting through, (plastic boxes are not air tight), would provide the conditions favorable to this action.  Do you have a lot of humidity where the equipment is stored?  How does the eccentric and rod look on the other side of the loco?  Dave

on30gn15

Has been stored in a bedroom here at home. I live in the middle of Missouri, which can be humid sometimes in summer; but, the climate control machinery pretty much takes that out of the picture - which is better for my books than humidity is.

I can't think of something which would have been eating away at the part, which does not mean nothing did, it just means I can't imagine what would have.

Rods and eccentric look okay on other side. What I can see of them, that is. Difficult to see back of eccentric without removing it from driver, and I figure the less I disturb that stuff, the better.

Now, the rods and rivets connecting them are 2 different metals. But my several Model Die Casting/ Roundhouse locos from over thirty years ago have the same situation and are doing fine.

As it happens, I have some rivets remaining from those kits and if a new eccentric by itself could be acquired then the fix would only take a couple minutes.
later, Forrest