News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

MRC “Decoder Dr”

Started by kovaks, June 26, 2015, 08:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kovaks

Will the MRC "Decoder Dr." work to adjust the Tsunami® sounds for the Bachmann DCC systems on On30 locomotives? 
I don't know if the Bachmann DCC Tsunami® programming is different from the MRC DCC programming.

DAVE2744

The following is a copy from another youtube site, concerning the MRC product in question.  Hope the helps. "Hello All,

I recently purchased said MRC Decoder Dr. It is much more than a decoder tester.

With this unit I can pre-program decoders equipped with an NMRA 8-pin plug directly from this unit, read and set CV's and test headlight functions.

If the decoder is installed in a loco this unit will test the motor functions, read the current address; 2- or 4-digit, program said addresses, read and write CV's, reset the installed decoder to factory parameters and test run the loco at reduced voltage. All on a separate programming track.

My programming track is two pieces of snaptrack with a re-railer in the middle attached to a length of board. Works for me!

I use the Bachmann Dynamis DCC system and rather than ponying up for the ProBox at about $500.00 (retail) I bought a MRC Decoder Dr. to perform many of the same functions.

The only drawback is that this unit draws it's power (15v DC) from the track with the included power lead. I bought a separate transformer to make this system stand alone. Coming from the unit there are two wires with an inline disconnect that attaches to the programming track.  For my needs it's perfect.

For those of you that have systems that already perform these functions on a programming track this unit won't make sense to you- -no matter the manufacturer of the DCC system your using."

I just searched the browser for "MRC decoder doctor",  lots of links to see about product.  Dave

My CRS made me almost forget the important stuff!  I have HO equipment from Bachmann, Soundtraxx Tsunami,  and MRC.  Most of the the basic low numbered CVs are the same.  A lot of the higher level CVs are unique to what each mfg'r stipulated.  The particular command station/programmer you use, will handle them all.  You might run into some limitations from certain programmers,  but usually there is a "work around" process to handle this as well.   Good Luck,  Dave

kovaks

Thanks Dave,  I'm new to DCC and the neat sounds for my locomotives and I really enjoy having them now, after so many years of just hearing growling gears.  I've always liked changing things on my locomotives to make them more personal, rather than exactly like every other one that comes out of a box.  But, those are things I can see, feel, and hold in my hand - programming electronics is a little scary to me, as often is the case with me, it usually gets messed-up and they're expensive.  So I'm really unsure of what to expect, or what I can mess-up, if I start trying to reprogram the DCC and sound system. 

When I run my On30 Heisler on analog, the sounds of the whistle and chuff are different than when I run it with my MRC DCC (AD150 base and AD490 controller) system.  So I would assume that the sounds might be programmable to a different style/pitch and the steam chuff may be able to be better synchronized to the speed of the locomotive.

I like the option of the MRC "Decoder DR" that it can restore the original/default memory.  So I would hope, I can at least go back to where I started from, if it really gets messed-up. 

Leaving them the way they are is neat, but being able to change them is cool. Kovaks

DAVE2744

I have not run any of my equipment on DC.  According to my books and tech manuals from various mfg'rs,  the DC mode is sort of "fixed" as to features,  but unless they are using certain CV slots for just DC operation, I would not have expected a sound that you programmed to be different in the either mode.  Documentation of this sort is in short supply.  As far as changing CV values, go one step at a time.  Make sure you know what the CV does and how your change will affect it.  Also, some CVs work in conjunction with other CVs.  Be very careful when altering these groups of CVs.  I always read all CVs when I get a loco.  This gives me a reference as to what was normal.  Too many times the documentation does not agree with what the decoder actually has.  I always keep a log sheet for each loco, showing exactly the history of each CV that I changed.  It is safer to use a separate pgm track w/booster.  If you have several locos, you can get confused and that leads to a lot of work.  I know this seems like overkill,  but in the long run it will be worth it.  Saved my onions several times!  Dave