News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Opinions please

Started by lanny, November 25, 2007, 03:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lanny

I would appreciate comments (good or bad), opinions, etc. on HO rolling stock kits mfg by 'C&BT Shops'.

Thanks very much to any who have information concerning these kits.

lanny
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Atlantic Central

Lanny,

I bought one - never again! The letting was poorly donefuzzy, the parts did not fit, the instructions where poor, which it really would not have needed except for the fact that the parts did not fit.

It represented the single worst example of tool and die work/injection molding I have ever seen.

Sheldon

SteamGene

I built a few back when I first started back into model railroading.  I remember the B&O box cars had a color I've never seen on a B&O car - an orange shade.  The holes for the grabs had to be opened up - and this was before I had small drill bits or any pin vises.  The wheels were the first ones I threw away - the axle came in two pieces. 
Still, some made into a rather nice looking car and they taught me something about "above the shake and bake."
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

r.cprmier

Lanny;
Not a good choice.  In my opinion,  a very inferior product. 
It is unfortunate that several of what I call "Good kits" are now RTR or "speed kits".  At least the quality is there-I am referring to Red Caboose, Intermountain, proto 2000, etc.  To me, the challenge is still there in the guise of F&C, Westerfield, Tichy, Bowser, etc as kit cars.  It is also unfortunate that the real "craftsman" type kits have all but gone, like Ambroid, Ulrich, LaBelle, etc.  This would be a selection I would buy.
I have a lot of Athearn, Roundhouse, etc, just sitting on the "ready shelf" that I probably won't run, as I am looking for that "upper quality" in a kit.
If I sound like a snob, I do not intend to.   I just like quality.

RIch
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

lanny

No Rich, you absolutely do not sound like a 'snob'. I got three repsonses from three people I consider 'experts' on this forum and my decision is abide by your (their) adivice and to by pass this product. I too enjoy the challenge of a really beautifully built resin kit or a highly detailed styrene kit. That's the way I will continue to go.

Thanks guys!

lanny
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

FFJOHNL312

Lanny:
Don't pass up a deal just because of what's been said here......

True, the C&BT kits were what they were for when they were made (I bought one in 1985). But, with a few detail parts from DA or DW, the ugly duckling can be turned into a beautiful swan. I've seen you work on turning a stock locomotive into something uniquely IC, so a freight car is not that far of a stretch for someone with your skill level......

John Loesch
DGLE? We don't need no stinkin' DGLE!

Woody Elmore

I assembled several of their ON3 EBT hoppers years ago and didn't encounter any problems.

Atlantic Central

John,

I for one was not commenting on the level of detail, but rather on the poor fit of parts and poor paint job. Not to mention that when assembled with the parts provided the couplers where no where near the correct height and all the necessary modifications to correct the flaws and assemble the car would have rendered the poor factory paint job useless and in need of repainting. The paint job was fuzzy and the paint on the doors did not match the car. That was not an acceptable level of quality in 1985 or in 1965.

The average Athearn or MDC car in 1965 (or 1985) was a much better product.

After fooling around with the thing for a couple of evenings I simply pitched it in the trash. Like Rich, I am an acomplished modeler who has built/builds kits from Silver Streak, Ambroid, Titchy, Proto 2000, Branchline, F&C, etc, etc, as well as scratch building and kit bashing, but that CB&T 40' box car was just junk.

Sheldon