News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

0-4-0 please!

Started by kevin2083, November 05, 2007, 07:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin2083

I've been searching and searching an have had no luck.. I'm looking for a spectrum quality (or at least not train set quality) 0-4-0 switcher, but I can't afford brass. Anyone out there know where I could find a nice little switcher?
I've even searched e-bay, reluctantly.

thanks in advance

kevin?
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

SteamGene

IIRC, Bowser has a PRR 04-0.  remember - these were mostly gone by about 1900 on most roads.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

kevin2083

thanks. I'm not looking for any specific model. an 0-4-0t would be nice, but it doesn't really matter.

how well does the mantua run?
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

japasha

The Mantua 0-4-0 runs fine. Not all that detailed but a little fiddling and you can have a nice one. See Yardbird Classic Trains as Dan sometimes  has a a nice one. They use to have the little six mantua model which is an 0-6-0T as well.  The little Bowser Dockside is an easy kit and not too expensive.

r.cprmier

Gene;
Those little 0-4-0s with  thier slopeback tenders, were a staple on the Canal project-around the turn of the century.  They were a neat little engine, scooting back and fro with carloads of either material or burden.

You are correct about Bowser, and that is a honey of a little engine.  Even the gear is correct, and not some garbag-y contraption.

RIch

Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

kevin2083

thanks y'all

I'm looking at the a-5 kit, how hard would it be to assemble the valve gear and side rods?
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

SteamGene

Kevin,
I've found that assembling the side shown in the instructions is quite easy.  Putting the piece of paper between parts when riviting is a must.  Assembling the mirror image set is not as easy....
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

japasha

Kevin,

Bowser offers the valve gear already assembled for a small price. Using paper between the parts is an old trick but will give you proper clearence between the parts. I've done a couple of dozen Bowesr kits for myself and friends and after a bit of filing, they go together very well. Finished a Clinchfield version Challenger last year and it runs very nicely.
One tip: Make sure the drivers roll freely before and after installing side rods. There can be bind. A little filing on the rods, both in the holes and to make sure there aren't any burrs on the flat.

One more thing if you semble your own valve gear, make sure the heads of the rivets face outward.

BaltoOhioRRfan

I've got two nice 0-4-0's a Mehano 0-4-0 Dockside, and a Rivarossi 0-4-0 Dockside (with Mehano chassis). both run nice and look nice.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

kevin2083

Thanks everyone for the input. I think that I'll go with the Bowser A-5 and super detailing kit and maybe, if I can find it, the assembled valve gear.

______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

SteamGene

Kevin, check the Bowser site.  I'm sure they have assembled valve gear for their 0-4-0.  It used to add a out $12 to the price.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

kevin2083

sorry to bring up an old thread, but I recently got an AHM 0-4-0 (for free, otherwise I wouldn't have it) and now it needs a motor, or at least some new brushes and springs. Is there something out there I can use, or should I just give up before starting. It looks like it's geared to go pretty fast, unfortunatley, but I haven't been able to run it.
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

BaltoOhioRRfan

if you can find one get a Mehano/IHC 0-4-0 and take it apart and use that frame/chassis, will require some modifying. make sure to keep the back loop on there or you wont beable to hook up the tender.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

japasha

Kevin,

Go to the Northwest Shortline site and look up replacement motors. They had one for most AHM locomotives.. The motors were problem. I have replaced most of mine with NWSL motors. They will not be cheap but they will work and they are either Sagami or anotehr Japanese quality brand.

The work involved is usually minimal.