Youtube narrow gauge coal trains in the Pocohantas mine 1920s

Started by fred lundgren, June 28, 2015, 09:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anubis

The close proximity of the overhead power cable for the electric locomotives must have been a constant worry for the operators and miners, as it appears to be somewhat less than a standing man's head height....

<ZAP>

:)

John
There is no such thing as a Part Time Obsession

ebtnut

That power wire installation was very typical in the mining region.  I've seen a few instances where the wire was loosely wrapped with canvas or leather to lessen the hazard a bit.  It was a bit like splitting a hose and draping it over the wire.  The trolley shoe opened up the split while passing through. 

Not common in the east, but out west some of the deep gold mines used compressed air lokies.  A big air line was run through the mine galleries to provide air for the lokies and also for the mining equipment that ran on air. 

p51

Back in those days, they'd tell the employees, "Now, don' y'all touch that thar wire, boy!" and anything you did after that was on you.
Good cooked? Same guy'd look over your charred corpse and say, "Dang gum it, that's th' fourth one we done lost this week!" and them go tell the hiring office they needed a new hand.
Settlement with the family, you ask? Not in those days! "He done knowed what he needed to do and e-lec-tro-cuted hisself anyway!"
Some mining outfits would even charge the family to remove the corpse.
-Lee