shay moves slowly ,stops and eratic movement

Started by phillip007au, June 25, 2015, 09:16:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phillip007au

Had my shay dcc ready for around 2 years,put it on the track moved very slowlyand erratic stop go.
Even when power applied striaght to the wheels,is this a gear problem orwhat

ScottyB

I just had this happen to mine. I already had the new gears so mine turned out to be a motor issue.

First you need to figure out if it is a gear or motor issue (or something else). I would disconnect the drive shafts so the wheels run freely, then put it on the track and run the motor (obviously the loco will not move, but the motor should run.) If the motor runs fine, then it is likely the gears. Send an email to the Bachmann parts department for free replacements.

If the motor is the problem, you have two options, given that you are out of your 1 year warranty. First (easy) - send it back to Bachmann - they will repair, or more likely replace the shay for $55. (My understanding is they are running low on new shay stock and are being resupplied around December. I was also told the parts to replace the motor are not currently in stock.) Second, there is a seller on eBay who sells the motor mechanism for about the same amount ~$55. Just search for "on30 Shay motor." (Actually I don't see any at this moment but I believe the seller is "sooo-much-stuff".)

Good luck. I was told there is a resupply of locos arriving in December with all new tooling and gearing and hopefully these issues will finally be over.

Scott
On30 for me, N scale for my son.