Can't set medium or maximum speed - CV6 and CV5

Started by Rusty Rails, August 11, 2015, 10:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty Rails

I have an N scale Bachmann Spectrum GE 44 Ton with factory installed DCC decoder.  I cannot set the mid range or high end speed.  I run the unit at 28 speed steps and speed step 28 yields a scale speed of 106-107 consistently as measured by my MRT Accutrack Speedometer.  The Top Value (CV#5) is set at the factory default of 30.  The Mid Value (CV6) was set to the factory default of 1.  ????  I reset it to 20.  No matter what setting I program, I continue to get 106-107 with a mid range (speed step 14) of 70-80.  What's wrong here?

My Bachmann Spectrum EM-1 allowed me to program it without any problems as did my Spectrum Light 2-10-2.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for listening.
"Cornfield-meet" survivor

Mike C

The ones used in N scale locos are are stripped down decoder . CV 5 and 6 don't work on them. I usually end up replacing them with a full function decoder. The stock decoders work fine in most locos , but others need a bit finer control .

Rusty Rails

That's a shame.  CVs 5 & 6 are critical for any locomotive.  Too bad Bachmann can't provide a decoder that, at the very least, allows programming of the basic CVs such as 2 thru 6, 29 and 65.  Kinda' defeats the purpose of having DCC.

It makes the option of purchasing standard DC or DCC ready locomotives and adding the decoder of your choice a much more attractive one.
"Cornfield-meet" survivor

gatrhumpy