Replacing the smokebox front on the Union Pacific Overland Limited #806

Started by 6200, July 01, 2015, 02:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it possible to replace the smokebox front on the Union Pacific #806 to something less Niagara and more UP? I was thinking of using the ATSF 4-8-4 front as a replacement but was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions.

ebtnut

The issue would be finding a replacement that is the same diameter as the existing one.  Measure very carefully (a good caliper would help) and compare.  You might look at offerings in brass from PSC as an option, too.

richardl

Look at the Walther's website. I just did. There are Cal Scale but no PSC.
I checked the PSC website and only two are listed. One is a standard gauge, the other, narrow gauge.
PSC has cut a lot of parts over the years.
I use to buy from them when they were in Seattle Wa but they moved some years ago. New owner.

You might try ebay or a Google search. There may be online vendors with some of there stock. There are on line brass loco companies.

Rich

electrical whiz kid

RichardL;
Go to Bowser's website and go to "Cal-scale".  Another option would be Cary Locomotive works, or scour sites such as Evil Bay, etc.  I don't like sites such as that, but if it is the only option.  Of course, there is always the challenge of making one from sheet brass...

Rich C. 

richardl

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on July 01, 2015, 07:25:10 PM
RichardL;
Go to Bowser's website and go to "Cal-scale".  Another option would be Cary Locomotive works, or scour sites such as Evil Bay, etc.  I don't like sites such as that, but if it is the only option.  Of course, there is always the challenge of making one from sheet brass...

Rich C. 

I checked Bowser also but mentioned Walther's as some order right from Walther's as do some MHS's like my local shop does.

A call to PSC might work as I use to order directly from them when Walther's could;d not seem to keep stuff in stock. No telling what PSC might have hanging around that is not in their catalogue.

Rich

J3a-614

All of these are good suggestions and certainly worth looking at. 

One other might be to find an unusable Santa Fe 4-8-4 as a parts source.  You might find something like that for as little as $5 at a show or even a yard sale.  Other possible things could be a 2-8-4 front (though I think it might be too small).  Rolling your own is also a possibility, perhaps just using a home made front with a door cut out from something else. 

The UP front, by the way, is a bit different from the Santa Fe one in real life.  UP used a smokebox front that was typical of Alco design, with a rather large door.  This style was also used on Rock Island 4-8-4s, Rutland's famous Green Hornet 4-8-2s, and others.  The Santa Fe used a design more typical of Baldwin, with a smaller door and a lot of extra riveting; this same style was also used on 4-8-4s by Baldwin for RF&P and ACL, and on the Baldwin designed 2-8-4's used by L&N.

Another thought--that Alco front was also used on UP's Challenger and Big Boy locomotives; those fronts just didn't have the headlight mounted there.  Hmmm--can you find an old Rivarrossi articulated or just the shell cheap, and would it be the right size?

electrical whiz kid

This might be a shot in the dark, but I know the "Hobby Gallery" in Wolcott, Ct, at least used to have a good supply of brass parts.  It might be worth a call.

Rich C.