Main Menu

2-8-4 pulling power

Started by sedfred, June 26, 2015, 06:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sedfred

rogertra

Rich.

Lead wool.

Never even thought of that, I'll have to give it try.

Thanks for the tip.

Cheers

Roger T.

electrical whiz kid

Roger;
Yep, I ran across it some years ago in a hobby shop in Canton, Ct.  It is pretty nice to use (don't eat it...) and with a little ACC for security, it works like a charm.  I like birdshot, loose in a condom.  It acts as a bit of a take-up with the vibration issue; it also pretty much goes and stays where you want it to.
RIch C.

RAM

They also have lead foil.

electrical whiz kid

Lead foil is also good venue.  It too, compresses nicely into nooks and crannies, although not as good as the wool, which would be my first choice; the only problem is fining a source.  It appears to be not only an on-again, 0ff-again product, but is surely to be consistently under fire from the DEP, and any other protection agency.
Good luck in your search.
Rich C.

ACY

I have sheet lead, it is probably pretty similar to lead foil.

electrical whiz kid

ACY;
Sheet lead, as does the rest, has a malleable characteristic, which adds significantly to it's use.  For what it is worth; DO NOT breathe fumes from molten lead, work around lead with open sores, cuts, etc., and  keep it away from the kids.  As good as it is useful to us, it is still an element, can be very toxic, and as an electrical conductor,  just plain dangerous.

Rich C.