News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Poll

Started by NWsteam, December 24, 2007, 01:44:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWsteam

Would you or wouldn't you buy a spectrum 4-8-0 to go along with the pacific Bachmann will be producing shortly ;)?

r.cprmier

Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

japasha

NW Steam.

I understand you wanting a N&W 4-8-0. I have a brass SP and a scratch-built 4-8-0. While nice, they do not like 24 inch radius curves and have a long rigid wheelbase.  The Pacific is on my list.

I rode behind the N&W 4-8-0 at Stasburg last summer. Great ride. There have been some in brass, so I'd look there. Bachmann will probably build future models in a more general wheel configuration.

Virginian

Bachmann has produced umpteen versions of the N&W Js, including several that never existed, and BLI has also produced it, and there were a whopping 14 originals.  BLI has produced the N&W A (38 prototypes), and are now coming out with the roller bearing equipped As (5 prototypes).  PCM and Rivarossi have both had N&W Y6bs, 30 prototypes.
Proto produced a beautiful VGN specific Berk, which had 5 prototypes.  They also produced the excellent N&W Y3, with enuf parts on the undec versions that one had a lot of flexibility to basically model a lot of different locomotives, but most of the six or eight lettered versions were pretty loco specific, with seven or eight prototypes in non-N&W livery.
Why do all the manufacturers think an N&W M, which has a LOT shorter rigid wheelbase than a J, and had more prototypes (especially if you count M-1s), and which could also serve in a modern excursion setting as well as a pre-60s layout, would NOT be popular?  Or is it that are more afraid of a riot by the non-N&W guys?  I have completely given up on trying to understand their thinking.  Like B'mann coming out with a Berk just like the Proto ones, right on the heels of Proto's.  Color me mystified.
"What could have happened... did."

NevinW

No, I wouldn't be interested in a 4-8-0.  -  Nevin

SteamGene

I would have a revolt were I to have a N&W on my railroad.  Now a C&O H-7..... :D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Atlantic Central

As stated before in other posts, while it is an interesting prototype, it does not fit my railroads theme.

And, I am not a "collector", so my answer is no, I would not buy one.

But, I don't own any of the following either:

N&W "J"
N&W Y6b
UP Big Boy
PRR K4
UP Challenger
UP FEF
SP GS4
any Berkshire (or equal)

Of all those listed above only two or three have ANY chance of ever being on my Railroad. Yet the manufacturers continue to make more versions, copies, etc, of these locos - why? Don't enough Big Boys aready exist for every modeler to have all 25? Or do these things get sucked down a black hole somewhere?

And purchasing any of the above is not really in my plans - but I own about 150 locomotives - once again to ALL the manufacturers out there - more work a day typical locos, less of 25 of kind rare ones.

Sheldon

NWsteam

QuoteBut, I don't own any of the following either:

N&W "J"
N&W Y6b
UP Big Boy
PRR K4
UP Challenger
UP FEF
SP GS4
any Berkshire (or equal)

I own the J but that because thats the road I model.  I probably will never own any of the others but possibly a Y6b in the far, far off future.  I am just looking for a medium/small sized locomotive(Norfolk and Western steam) that can work the industries on the inner loop of my 6x8 layout.  I have heard only good things about the Bachmann 2-8-0 but its way to big for the N&W model.  I'm only a 18 year old with not much kitbashing experience so building one is out to the question.  I could spring for a 4-8-0 in brass... but they are hard to come by.  I don't understand why it would be hard for Bachmann to produce this model.  It is an currently operating locomotive that runs excursions.  As for it being one of only 25, I beg to differ.  I can think of at least four different roads that ran them here in the U.S.  Also being that the Norfolk and Western railway ran steam longer then any railroad in the U.S., this model would seem like a no-brainer.

Atlantic Central

NWsteam,

The referance to "one of 25" refers to the much over hyped and over produced Big Boy, not the N&W 4-8-0. While a few other roads has 4-8-0's, they where not all the same design and in all of North America there where about 600 locos of that wheel arrangement.

Again, the 4-8-0 not a bad loco, it just lacks wide appeal compaired to lots of other they could come out with.

It would not be hard for Bachmann to produce this model, the question is would they sell enough to make it worth while?

It costs hundreds of thousands of dollars to design, tool up, produce and bring to market a model steam locomotive - they have to sell a lot of them to make it a good investment. If they invest money in models that loose money, they will not be able to stay in business to produce anything!

The same is true for dealers. If they put models on their shelves that do not sell, their money is tied up and they cannot put other items on the shelves that you need.

So choosing models that lots of people will buy is important for all of us in this hobby.

Sheldon

SteamGene

NWSteam - a slight correction to a comment.  N&W was, I believe, the last Class I railroad running steam,  or trying to keep it as opposed to being able to buy enough diesels to replace their steam like PRR and NYC.  But several Class II railroads ran steam after N&W.  There was one in West Virginia whose name I can't remember and the Reader Railroad in south central Arkansas who were still steam in 1965. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

NWsteam

Right you are Gene, I should have stated class I railroad.  Have a very Merry Christmas!

Pacific Northern

Not interested in a 4-8-0, however a Spectrum 2-6-2 would be another story..........
Pacific Northern

r.cprmier

I am going to tie in with Sheldon et al and say that the market just might do really well with a  post-1900 4-6-0, or a 2-6-0.  The last time I saw a 2-6-2 produced by anyone, I wouldn't have bought it on a bet!  Of I want an 0-6-0 with ponies and trailers, I'll take one off of my shelf and build it myself; I have plenty of 'em!

I, as a businessman with a knowledge of preproduction costs, certainly understand the manufacturers going easy and not jumping the gun on a potential product; but There have been virtually no engines of the sort I have described built by either Bachmann or Proto.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

andrechapelon

Quote from: NWsteam on December 24, 2007, 01:44:21 PM
Would you or wouldn't you buy a spectrum 4-8-0 to go along with the pacific Bachmann will be producing shortly ;)?

'Course I would. What died in the wool SP fan wouldn't? SP ran 3 or 4 TW-8's well into the 50's.  Some of the earlier classes were also used until the late 40's.

From the looks of it, an NP 'X' class 4-8-0 pretty much had the same proportions as the SP TW-8 and with some fairly minor detail changes, two birds could be severely injured, if not downright killed, by a single engine.

That Pacific better be a Harriman (light or heavy). Otherwise Bachmann will be the recipient of a nasty letter from my attorney.  ;D

Andre

RAM

no need for a 4-8-0