News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Adding sound to a pre installed decoder.

Started by trainstrainstrains, July 06, 2015, 07:49:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainstrainstrains

The Bachmann 2 8 8 4 and 4 6 0 have DCC pre installed but no sound, it seems wasteful to buy a complete other decoder just to add sound. There must be an inexpensive solution for just adding sound to these locomotives. Any suggestions please?

Brewman

Digitrax and I think MRC offer a sound only decoder. I have not tried them so don't know how well they work or sound. Also, there may not be room for two decoders and a speaker in a N scale tender.

ACY

Quote from: trainstrainstrains on July 06, 2015, 07:49:11 AM
Any suggestions please?
Unfortunately there is no where near enough room for 2 decoders, it cannot be done. You will either have to stay with DCC only or buy a decoder that includes DCC and sound. You physically cannot fit a sound only decoder in addition to the regular decoder in both locomotives you inquired about.

trainstrainstrains

The following  is an excerpt from the The Bachmann publication    Quick Start Guide For Bachmann® DCC-Equipped Locomotives

"Additionally, this decoder has been designed to accept a "Plug and Play" sound module, designed specifically for Bachmann® by SoundTraxx® using their Tsunami® Digital Sound Technology "

I expected someone from Bachmann to comment on this.

ACY

Quote from: trainstrainstrains on July 08, 2015, 03:39:23 AM
The following  is an excerpt from the The Bachmann publication    Quick Start Guide For Bachmann® DCC-Equipped Locomotives

"Additionally, this decoder has been designed to accept a "Plug and Play" sound module, designed specifically for Bachmann® by SoundTraxx® using their Tsunami® Digital Sound Technology "

I am sorry to say but that is in reference to a few specific locomotives, namely thr HO scale EM-1 2-8-8-4 and two other On30 locomtives, it does not apply to any other Bachmann locomotives. What that is referring to is three Bachmann Spectrum locomotives that were made recently that are made to accept a specially built sound module (not decoder). These will only work with those three locomotives and cannot be adapted for any others, and even if they could the sound modules would not even fit in an N scale locomotive.

Like I told you before it can't be done, either stick with plain DCC or buy one with DCC and sound.

Bucksco

Quote from: trainstrainstrains on July 08, 2015, 03:39:23 AM

ACY is correct - N scale is limited by size. We are just beginning to install sound decoders in N scale locomotives and the 2 that we have done are larger locomotives (DD40 and Berkshire). The reference to the "add-on" sound module is for HO scale and larger locomotives. At this time there is not enough room in an N scale loco for an additional sound module.

spookshow

Installing sound decoders in the 4-6-0 and 2-8-8-4 would be no problem (the only caveat being that you first have to get rid of the stock decoders). A cheap/simple "just add sound to the locomotive and leave everything else alone" option does not exist.

The only other option (as previously mentioned) would be to create a separate "sound car" with its own sound-only decoder.

Cheers,
-Mark

kewatin

YARDMASTER
it seems my post regarding sound car option was removed.i was not trying to promote another mfg just a source of parts  or a service to enhance  some BACHMANN locos for which no sound is available and to assist fellow modelers with help or assistance.i have read the site forum rules and did not  what i think broke the criteria for posting.
if i did so,i sincerely apolagize.thanks to mark from spookshow for showing that  there is an alternative option by using a sound car with a decoder  from any mfg that one wishes to use.
regards&later  KEWATIN

Bucksco

It would be preferable to suggest that the person send you a PM (personal message) so that you can make such a suggestion instead of posting the name of a manufacturer. Bachmann cannot assume responsibility for a person's experiences with another manufacturer.

kewatin

YARDMASTER
thank you for your response,clarifying the issue, the individual whom i suggested is not a mfg but an individual service provider&a source of decoder parts &installation guides & also does installations for those not able to do so.i will try harder in the future to be more considerate in my postings so as not to offend anyone.
again my sincere apology.
regards&later KEWATIN

trainstrainstrains

Apart from changing decoders to sound decoders I'd like to try a separate "sound car" with its own sound-only decoder just for fun and hook it to  different locos, installation  and wiring is extremely  simple.