What would you do differently with sound value?

Started by Trainman203, July 06, 2015, 12:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irbricksceo

Quote from: Hunt on July 08, 2015, 12:35:49 AM
Quote from: Irbricksceo on July 07, 2015, 11:11:15 PM
. . .
Edit: Also, f7 appears to be a coupler clank of sorts, not a dimmer. I just tested
Irbricksceo,
You asked about Sound Value decoder Dim.

What Bachmann HO locomotive did you use for the test,  a Bachmann Spectrum HO 2-10-0?
Yes, F7 is Coupler Sound effect for the decoder in that locomotive.

To date - HO locomotives with factory installed DCC sound in Bachmann Spectrum line do not have a Sound Value decoder installed.

Interesting, because it is most certainly NOT a  full tsunami, It lacks several features of the full tsunamis. I did not know that there was a mid-step version.
Modeling NYC in N

Hunt

Quote from: Irbricksceo on July 08, 2015, 12:40:34 AM

Interesting, because it is most certainly NOT a  full tsunami, It lacks several features of the full tsunamis. I did not know that there was a mid-step version.

The SoundTraxx Bachmann OEM Tsunami decoder install in the Spectrum line is and has always been different than an aftermarket SoundTraxx Tsunami decoder, which I surmise you are referring to as a "full tsunamis".  How different depends on the model and production run date.

Hunt

**Correction ** to
Quote from: Hunt on July 06, 2015, 05:37:45 PM
Another aside:
Roger T.
For a Bachmann factory installed SoundTraxx decoder (Tsunami or Sound Value)

Both head and backup light always on and dimmable
Program
CV 33 = 3
CV 34 = 3
CV 49 = 129
CV 50 = 129
CV 41 = 16

Pressing F7 will simultaneously Dim or On both head and backup lights.

** Correction **
I just checked a few locomotives, DCC with sound, in the HO Spectrum line and per Bachmann specification Coupler Sound is assigned (mapped) to Function (F7).

Dimmer is not assigned to any Function key for the few locomotives  I checked.

Hunt

MORE -----

If you have a Spectrum HO locomotive that has a factory installed SoundTraxx Bachmann OEM Tsunami decoder and want both head and backup light always on and dimmable then

Program
      CV 33 = 3
      CV 34 = 3
      CV 49 = 129
      CV 50 = 129
      CV 45 = 8   -- maps F7 from Coupler sound to light Dimmer

Pressing F7 will simultaneously Dim or return to Bright both head and backup lights.
Pressing F0 turns lights off and on.

Irbricksceo

Excellent, I'd rather have the dimmer but, out of curiosity, can the clank then be forced onto, say, f9?
Modeling NYC in N

Hunt

Quote from: Irbricksceo on July 08, 2015, 08:14:35 PM
Excellent, I'd rather have the dimmer but, out of curiosity, can the clank then be forced onto, say, f9?

No -  but leave Coupler sound on F7 and  map Dimmer to F9

F7 CV 45 = 128 - Coupler - default setting
F9 CV 39 = 128 - Dim

These Function mapping only work when CV 30 = 4  Which is the default setting for Spectrum HO locomotives factory installed with SoundTraxx Bachmann OEM Tsunami decoder.

Irbricksceo

Thanks both of you, works perfectly. Granted, when dimmed you cannot tell the front headlight is on (one day I'll get brave enough to try and find a way to brighten it) but it does what I want now.

Also, looking at the manual, it seems there is no way to get both on with the standard bachmann decoder. a shame but that is what you get with a 20 dollar decoder
Modeling NYC in N

Hunt

Irbricksceo,
If your locomotive does not have LED for the lights then instead of
Programming
      CV 49 = 129
      CV 50 = 129

Program
      CV 49 = 1
      CV 50 = 1