News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Starting out New in G scale

Started by oldtimer57, July 08, 2015, 10:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldtimer57

Hello Everyone.  Let me start by saying it is Wonderful to have this Forum seeing I am just Starting in G scale.  I will shortly be moving to Florida and plan On an Outside layout approx 20 feet wide by 30 feet long and only running two Trains.  My Questions are What do you recommend for Track, Power Supply, and Rugged Engines for outside.  Ant help is a Huge help   Thanks Jim.

Chuck N

Welcome to the wonderful (some might say Wacky) world of large scale.  As a beginner ask questions, and more questions, but remember that you will get many correct answers that may and will conflict.  We all have our preferences, for instance, track power versus battery, versus live steam.  Or straight DC versus DCC.  There are many other examples.  Get your answers and then pick what is best for you.

When I started out in this part of the hobby, early 1980s, there wasn't any organized help out there.  I made many mistakes along the way.  Learn from our mistakes.  The chances of you making a "NEW" mistake is fairly remote. 

Joining a local club will be a real advantage.  There you can ask your questions and see other layouts.  People in your local area have solved many of your potential problems with solutions that work in your local climate.

This site is run by Bachmann.  Here we can answer your questions about Bachmann products and general questions about Large Scale, but we can't make recommendations about other products out there that compete with Bachmann.  I have 5 Bachmann engines and a number of their cars.  I am very pleased with them.  I also have rolling stock, engines and cars by several different manufacturers, addition to Bachmann, but I won't discuss them here.  It is not fair to Bachmann, who is paying to support this site.

For questions and recommendations about other manufacturers out there, good and bad, I suggest that you visit either <mylargescale.com> or <largescalecentral.com>.  They both welcome beginners and are helpful.  I am active on MLS, but many of my friends are active on LSC.  But as I said earlier, make local contacts, there you can actually see answers to many of your questions.  

Chuck

oldtimer57

A Big Thank you chuck for your reply.  I will check out the sites you recommend as well as look for a local club when I settle in to the new home.  Thanks again and I can hardly wait

Loco Bill Canelos

Welcome to the hobby!  you will find great help here.  Foir starters I would recommend the Bachmann Anniversary 4-6-0 locomotives as they are beautiful and run very well with good care.  Bachmann make a great line of passenger cars and freight cars as well. Bachamnn makes excellent brass track for outdoors as well.  You can download the Bachmann 2015 catalog online and look over the large scale offerings, and after that if you have questions about the products, you can ask about them here!!!

Here is a link to the catalog online, it is free, and the 2014 catalog is also still available by clicking on the catalogs and brochures link in the maroon stripe above.

http://resources.bachmanntrains.com/bachmann2015/

Most of all enjoy your new hobby.

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Chuck N

If you can tell us the town of your new house, someone here should be able to direct you to a nearby group, either formal or informal.

Chuck

Hunt

Decide on the control system you will use to power and control your locomotives before you select track.

oldtimer57

Chuck I will be moving to the melborne palm bay area of florida on the east coast.

Chuck N

Thanks, I live in Virginia and don't have any local contacts in Florida.  

Chuck

PS, if you ask questions on one of the sites, I mentioned.  Be sure to mention where you live, and when asking a question--give as much background information as you can.  We get a lot of questions like "my engine doesn't run", "my train keeps jumping the track" and many similar questions.  The more information you provide, the better we can try to help.

oldtimer57

Thanks again Chuck.  I guess my main question would be how to Power a smaller layout of just a couple of tracks and switches.  Bought two Bachmann Engines and a Bunch of Bachmann cars at a yard sale for 30.00 dollars.  They were tested on an old LGB track and all run just fine, I just don't want to over power or under power and blow the engines.  Thanks again for everything.  Jim

Chuck N

Most starter set power supplies, are minimal at best.  If you are going to run one train at a time I would recommend a minimum of 3 amps out put.  More engines with lights smoke and sound will require more amps.  Many of us recommend 10 amp units.  You will need a maximum voltage of 22-24 volts.

One more recommendation is when designing your layout, use the largest diameter curves that will fit into the site.  Most starter sets come with 4' diameter curves.  8 or 10' diameter is better and larger is better.  The tighter the curves, the more wear and tare on the engine.

Chuck

oldtimer57

Sounds good Chuck.  I will keep everyone posted on my progress.  I can't begin to explain how much great info I got from everyone.  Thanks again and Happy Railroading.

jmheck

I would advice on power pack and controller on what to buy do some sets come with this