News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Big Boy 4004

Started by punkin, July 08, 2015, 10:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

punkin

Hello all,

Pardon me but I'm still very new to trains. Initially I only wanted a little something to go round and round but I find myself more and more interested in the history. I recently had cause to go up into Wyoming and stopped at a local park. They had a train on display.

This thing was entirely enormous. I initially thought it was a more modern train simply because of the size. This would dwarf the real scale 4-6-0 that I like. They call it a Big-Boy which was made for Union Pacific. It is a steam train but the proportions are simply rediculous. There was a plaque that told a lot of it's history. Only a few were made and only a couple left in existence. I seriously do believe the tender would be much larger than a 4-6-0 engine. I look at the photos and still cannot believe how big it is.

The train number is #4004 and if you ever get to Wyoming I would encourage you to have a look. It's located in a local park in the town of Cheyenne.
I can type my handle with one hand.

uscgtanker

If you want to look  for more exciting locomotives look at www.steamlocomotive.com they have just about every loco from when it was last updated.

I also have a really good book that's easy to find from KALMBACH cyclopedia steam locomotives volume 1. the tender on the 4000's is 45' long and 10' 10" wide and the engine is 85' 10" long and the same width of the tender. There is a project that UP has taken that every rail buff wants to see. 4014 is in the shop to become operational for service.

History is such a great learning tool.

punkin

Really great stuff. That website has some really neat stuff. I had no idea there were so many old trains so near by. Thank you!

Chuck N

I'm not sure where your live, but if you haven't been to the Colorado Railroad Museum in Golden, Colorado,  I strongly recommend a visit.

They have an extensive collection of Narrow Gauge and Standard Gauge locomotives and rolling stock,  including some narrow gauge 4-6-0s, not too different from the Bachmann 4-6-0.  They cover early steam to diesel and have a lot of historical exhibits both indoors and out.

The Denver Garden Railway Society also has an garden railway setup and they are running most weekends and whether or not they run during the week, I don't know.  I try to get out to the museum whenever I am in  Denver.  Another stop I always make is at Caboose Hobbies on South Broadway.  They have a large "G" inventory and a lot of Bachmann products.  Last month I picked up a new Bachmann J&S coach.

Chuck

Loco Bill Canelos

Punkin,

If you get to DEnver area the Forney Transportation has another Big Boy and other neat train Items as well.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

veetwelve

Anyone passing through Dallas can see Big Boy #4018 on static display at the Museum of the American Railroad in Frisco, just north of Dallas.
For a list of their other exhibits, check here:
http://www.museumoftheamericanrailroad.org/Home.aspx

All the best,
Jay

punkin

Thanks very much all. The big boy in Cheyenne was the closest I've been to a real steam train in person. Enormity of it is so impressive I'm going to make an effort to get out and see some other real world examples. Pictures simply aren't going to be enough now :-)

Thanks to you both for the recommended visit locations. I'm actually very close to the Denver area so I will make an effort to go see that one first.

Thanks!

Chuck N

There were a number of railroads that had articulated steam engines during the age of steam: Baltimore & Ohio, Norfolk and Western, Chesapeake and Ohio, Denver and Rio Grande, Duluth Missabe and Iron Range are a few that come to mind.  These were of different designs than the Big Boy, but they were all very large.  Some are saved at museums around the country.  I have seen a DM&IR "Yellowstone" at an exhibit in Two Harbors, Minnesota.  I think that there is Norfolk and Western "Y" on display at the transportation museum in Ronanoke, Virginia.

In the past the Colorado Railroad Museum has fired up its 4-6-0 and run it around its loop pulling a couple of passenger cars.  You might check their website to see when they are having a stream up.

Chuck

Loco Bill Canelos

Colorado Railroad Museum is a must see for any railfan.  A trip to the Forney Transportation and the Colorado Railroad museum are possible to do in a day.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Ray Dunakin

BTW, the Union Pacific is currently restoring Big Boy #4014 to run again! This is in addition to the two other large steam locos they've been using for excursions and special events, a 4-6-6-4 Challenger and a 4-8-4.

http://www.up.com/aboutup/special_trains/steam/index.shtml

Visit www.raydunakin.com for photos, step-by-step articles and other information about the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

NarrowMinded

Pumkin,
Here is a photo I took of the side rod on Bigboy 4014 when they were getting ready
To move it to the shop for restoration.  That is a standard five gallon bucket for ref.

They are currently rebuilding it to bring it back to life, it will be running again.
http://s792.photobucket.com/user/NarrowmindedRR/media/image-2_zpsc5976eed.jpeg.html

punkin

I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to see one of these things in action. That would be some sort of major event for sure.   :o

mickeykelley

There was one in action just recently. It was moved from somewhere to the UP rebuild place. I don't remember if it was under its own power or just being towed. I'm sure others will chime in with the specifics. Wish I could have gone to see it moving.

Chuck N

PENTREX has an excellent video of the BIG BOYS in action.  I believe that they have footage of all of the UP BBs in the program.  I don't have it, but I have seen previews of the video as an ad on some other DVDs that I do have.  It is an impressive engine.

Chuck

PS As uscgtanker said the tender for the Big Boy is about 45' long.  That is only about 4' shorter than the D&RGW C-19 (including engine and tender) , a 2-8-0. One of my books says it is about 49' long.

armorsmith

Punkin,
Just as a point of reference, the Bachmann Ten Wheeler is based on the Ten Wheelers that ran on the East Tennessee and Western North Carolina narrow gauge railroad. This forum and others have threads of 'kit bashes' using this as a basis for another locomotive.

Yes, the Big Boys are HUGE.  I read somewhere that in operating condition and fully fitted they were about 1.4 million pounds on the rails (engine and tender).