News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Eureka & Palisades 4-4-0 colour

Started by norman, November 06, 2007, 08:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

norman

Hi Mr. Bachmann:

The Eureka & Palisade 4-4-0 base colour is Lake Brown. Someone from Bachmann had to visit the restored prototype Eureka & Palisade engine to create the artwork for the tender sides. Consequently, the Bachmann representative would have observed that the locomotive's base colour is Lake Brown.

So why is the Eureka & Palisade 4-4-0 model's base colour Black?
Was it felt at Bachmann that a Brown locomotive would not sell well ?

Your new 81391 painted unlettered Lake & Russia Iron 4-4-0 is the correct base colour for the Eureka & Palisade engine. Will the Eureka & Palisade engine be produced again at a later date in the correct Lake Brown base colour?

Will the North Pacific Coast 4-4-0 engine Sonoma be produced at a later date?

Thank you

Norman

the Bach-man

Dear Norman,
What do you mean by base color? The black tender is the largest black area on the model, and is correct: http://members.fortunecity.com/gknowles/proto/ep/ep_pix3.jpg
Have fun!
the Bach-man

David Fletcher

Closer inspection does reveal the colour.  She's dark alright, and can be confused as black, but Eureka, along with so many of her sisters 1874-1877 was most definitely Lake (a real dark brown).  I'm most certainly looking forward to the new Lake 4-4-0, along with the Dark Green version!  They look specatcular in the catalogue.

Here are some closeups of the Eureka I took in 2001.  Even close up in photos you can mistake the colour for black.  But see her first hand, there is no black to be seen.

http://www.mylargescale.com/articles/masterclass/mc1/mc1-07/images/blgrnd4.jpg

http://www.mylargescale.com/articles/masterclass/mc1/mc1-07/images/bkgrnd13.jpg

This colour extended to all areas originally shown as Black on the Bachmann 'Eureka'.  Despite the errors, I love the model, and the linework is wonderful.  The new Lake 4-4-0s will be even better.

David.

norman

Hi Mr. Bachmann:

The following web link shows the Lawyer restorer standing at the front of his E&P engine. The wheels, cow catcher and pilot deck base colours are brown.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2005/Oct-23-Sun-2005/living/3371483.html

The Bachmann representative who visited the E&P loco to document the tender line work must have seen that the locomotive and tender base colours are brown.

Just wanted any explanation as to why the Bachmann E&P model's base colour is black instead of brown.

The E&P model's russia iron boiler colour is stunning. Boiler colour and line work are Museum grade.

Will you later produce the North Pacific Coast Sonoma with this model?

Is the new brown base colour unlettered model's cab colour the same as the Eureka & Palisade model's cab colour?

Thank you

Norman

the Bach-man

Dear Norman,
Jim Wilke concurs with you, and I've passed the info along.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

norman

Hi Mr. Bachmann:

Could you also check with Jim Wilke or David Fletcher on the historic accuracy of a Baldwin No. 1 Wine Red base colour with SPC shade bright red wheels ?

Maybe that could be a future 4-4-0 Baldwin No. 1 paint release?

Thank you

Norman

woodburner

Dear Bach Man,

On a hunch, I would guess that the SPC model is based on a painting by railway artist Howard Fogg, featured in an SPC book several years ago.  Fogg based his work on an original photograph showing the engine as she looked several years into service, and after being repainted by the SPC in the course of normal upkeep.   Fogg chose a red scheme, perhaps based on the wine red the engine was painted when new. 

Norman, I think you can get an excellent Sonoma using the unlettered lake version with custom decals.  The "MyLargeScale" internet site has several recources for custom decals, and they can do a terrific job. 

Photos of the Bachmann's lake version show the "varnished wood" cab a slightly different color than Eureka.  In fact it looks very close to the varnished wood cab of the restored Sonoma.  Its almost as if someone held a color chip to the cab of Sonoma herself.       

Cheers,
Jim

the Bach-man

Dear Jim,
That's exactly the picture I used when I did the artwork sheets.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

woodburner

Dear Bach man,

Howard Fogg had an excellent eye for the mood and feel of things.  And that SPC book is a real classic. 

Keep up the good work!

Jim

norman

Dear Mr. Bachmann:

A friend forwarded me this V&T history web address.

http://www.virginiaandtruckee.com/index.htm

Click on the "locomotives tab" and select for example engine No. 6 Comstock or engine No. 11 Reno.

No. 6 Comstock Baldwin No. One Paint Scheme:

Maroon: tender tank and frame
Maroon: locomotive cab, domes, headlamp, cowcatcher and frame
Chinese red: all wheels

If you select engine No. 6 Comstock, double click on the locomotive image to see an amazing graphic artwork

For next year, can you produce the 4-4-0 in Baldwin No. One Paint scheme, unlettered Road name, with Maroon base colour and Chinese red wheel colour?

I can't duplicate the Baldwin No One graphics if I paint a 4-4-0 tender Maroon.

Anticipating !

Thank you

Norman