News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track Switches

Started by punkin, July 12, 2015, 07:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

punkin

Hello everyone,

I'm considering expanding my setup just a little. It was suggested to me to consider a second engine and I'm looking into this. I'm looking at a smaller porter type locomotive. I would like to expand my track just a little to have a place to park the train(s) when not in use. I'm looking at a track plan as shown below.

The question I have is how to have two trains on the track without both of them moving when power is applied. I would like to have one running the circle while the other is parked off on the side. I don't have the DCC set up...it's just analog DC. I don't know exactly how the track switches work and if they also switch power. If they do switch power, could I apply my power from the transformer in the main circle and then when the switches for the particular turn out is applied then would power also be routed in that direction as well?

As a little side project, I've ordered a computer controlled relay interface module. I plan to connect it up to my PC and remotely control the switches :-) wish me luck and thanks very much for any comments or advice.

I can type my handle with one hand.

Chuck N

There are many solutions to this.  The one I use is to have an open gap at the entrance to one or both of the sidings.  There are insulating rail joiners, clamps, and sections of track with built in gaps.  On my analog DC layout I use LGB 1015U.  It is a short piece of track where one  rail is cut in half creating an opening that does not conduct electricity.  It has a pad in the center with electrical connections to the two halves.  I attach a wire to one side and another wire to the other side.  The two wires have plugs.  If I want the train to run, I connect the plugs.  If I want it to sit I disconnect the plug.

This can be done with any insulating rail joiner or clamp.  You just have to connect a wire to each side of the gap that can be opened or closed.

Chuck

Another option is to use a passing siding and diodes.  This requires four gaps and two diodes.  Diodes let current pass in only one direction.  When the diodes are set properly, a train on siding A will stop and with a change of polarity to the track, direction, train B will take off in the opposite direction.  We use this at our holiday show on the Thomas loop.  We have spring switches at each end of the siding, so that the clockwise train always goes into siding A and the counterclockwise train will always go into siding B.

Here is a picture of the Thomas loop.  James is coming around and will go straight through the passing siding past Thomas.  If I stop James on the siding, and reverse polarity to the track, Thomas will go in the opposite direction.  The switch at the entrance to his siding is set so that he will diverge and not hit James head on, much to the regret of the kids.

Here is a drawing of the track plan of the setup.

No DCC or computers, just a polarity/direction switch on my analog DC power supply.

Joe Zullo

If I am not mistaken, you have a Bachmann 10 wheeler already? It has a three position power switch behind the smoke box door. To park the engine, just put that switch to the center position. Viola', dead engine. A Bachmann Porter also has the same switch. Easy peasey.  ;)