News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

turnouts

Started by garrya, July 16, 2015, 05:21:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garrya

Hi  I had an oval track that came with thomas and annie. I brought 2 turnouts 44461 & 44462 and some curves  to make a siding at the end of the oval and join at the other side. The idea was that I could park one train while running the other. at present both tracks are live. How can I insulate one section?

I have also been told that I must buy the General next, (how sad to be told to buy more) and as I am building a new layout how high is the General?

jbrock27

To isolate or insulate a section of track, you need 2 things: 1 insulated rail joiner (Code 100) and a On/Off style switch.  Commonly used are toggle switches.  You put the insulated (plastic) rail joiner on one rail at the point where you want to start where your section of track is going to be "shut off".  Then between the insulated rail joiner and the end of the section of track that your are isolating, you need to have a wire connected to the rail on the same side of the track you have the insulated rail joiner.  You hook that wire to a toggle switch (or other style switch-it should have only 2 places to connect a wire) that operates by On/Off, meaning it gets moved in 2 positions, On or Off.  The wire from the track gets connected to it, then another wire gets connected from the switch to your power source.  The switch then in 1 position allows for power to flow thru to the track and in the other position, prevents power from flowing thru to the track.  Very easy to accomplish.

I hope this helps. :)

I am sorry I cannot offer you any info on The General.
Keep Calm and Carry On

garrya

Thanks for that J. I understand what you mean.  When I had n scale ez track they just insulated themselves.

Garry

jbrock27

You're welcome Garry.  Feel free to ask any add'l questions :) and good luck! 
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

I would strongly urge you to buy an nmra guage. this tool will allow you to adjust your trackage , wheels and overhead and side clearances to recommended specs. the general is a relatively small locomotive, and won't give you clearance issues. but later on you may want to purchase something more modern and larger, such as the excess height boxcars common these days on the real thing. if you do you will be glad you built your layout to nmra clearances. you can always run smaller engines and cars on a layout built for larger ones, but it is a royal pain to go back and rebuild everything for larger cars if you build your tunnels and bridges too low.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA