News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Added that cab to tender hinged deck

Started by on30gn15, July 14, 2015, 11:26:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

on30gn15

Hey Y'all;

Added that cab to tender hinged deck, which I forget the technical name for, to a couple Big Hauler 4-6-0.
Design was intended to be simple, sturdy, mostly, and made from what was on hand.
How about we let the photos tell the story.
Except the photos don't tell that I did this in the single digit counted on one hand a.m. hours.
I don't know for sure where it sits as for strictly prototypical height attached to cab: I put it where I liked the angle, sloped but close to level.
Then again, what, on a Big Hauler is strictly to a prototype anyway.

When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

Joe Zullo

It's called a foot plate, and you did a great job. Have you tested it around curves? What would be the tightest diameter it could make without contacting the tender?  :)

on30gn15

Thanks Joe! It is designed to go around the train set curves.
Took then down to model RR club to work on last night. They are still there and I'm at home. I'll take some track tomorrow and set them up on the curve.
They were designed some months ago then set aside while other things were worked on, so, I have now forgotten exact details of how their shape was determined, but it was done with loco on track on family room floor.

Oh, they are 2 layers of plastic sheet. Top is Plastruct tread plate, I think the package labeled HO scale, actually, since it comes out in 1/24 scale more like the actual size of the real life pattern I have experience with.
Then that is glued to a layer of .020 or .030 plain sheet styrene.
later, Forrest

Loco Bill Canelos

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

on30gn15

Hey Joe, have a curve picture for ya  ;D Is on 4ft diameter, 2ft radius, curve from the set. (eeek!  :o there is need for some serious dusting!!!)

Another couple detail shots of the construction.

There is just enough clearance for wires to go between plate and loco frame

Hey, guys, can we change our club's layout from HO to G?  ;)
later, Forrest

Ray Dunakin

Thanks for posting this! I've been wanting to do the same on my loco but couldn't quite figure out how to make it work without interfering with the wires/plugs.

Visit www.raydunakin.com for photos, step-by-step articles and other information about the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

on30gn15

Welcome, Ray.  And, yeah, maybe I am bragging on myself a bit.  ;D
PRR loco was first one done.
On later locos, the eye screws have been moved up about 1/10 inch.
Went from right on that deck line, to just a hair above, to about 1/10 inch above on the SPC Annie.
Some of that had to do with the look I want, some had to do with wires.

Have yet to do V&T #26 from Silverado set. Plan is to locate attachment low as on PRR loco, and make notches in frame in order to increase space for wires where wires hang down touching that corner.
Wires visible in PRR photo are my addition to run power to marker lights on tender with power coming from 9v battery where smoke unit used to be. Battery is installed and accessed through smokebox door with switch mount cut away. That way, if (when) track power is lost at night, the PRR marker lamps on all 4 corners have power and you know where loco is.

Looks like foreman is going to have to dock the crew for having less than the regulation accumulation of cat hair.

Oh, and the 1/8 inch tube, or rod, which goes through the plate tube and the eye screws, is just press fit so it can be removed to remove footplate to reach to work plugs in and out.
later, Forrest

HWTMilr

Hi All--Just registered on the forum.
I saw the post about the footplate and thought I would give it shot. Used stuff from the scrap box and it turned out to be a simple project. My minimum dia. Curves are 8' and there is no binding, etc.
Good job to all who have done this.

on30gn15

later, Forrest