News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

power pack overload comes on

Started by gooner_1967, July 19, 2015, 12:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gooner_1967

i need some help.i have a backmann royal blue trainset that iam using on brass track,and when i put the train on the track,the overload light on the power pack comes on.when i take the train off,and just hooked up the wires to the train wheels,it runs fine.the power pack iam using are mrc 2500 and tech 3 model 7500

Len

Check the tender wheels, one truck may be reversed 180 degrees, creating a short when on the track. If the cars have lights, check their wheels and wiring also.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

gooner_1967

len, i just had the engine only on the track,iam using lionel brass.when i took the engine off the track,and just hook the wires to the wheels,no problem at all.iam not sure if the power packs are strong enough.the backmann steel track that came with the trainset set it still did the same.iam wondering if its a problem with the engine on the rails causing the problem

Len

The MRC 2500 should be fine with just the 'Blue Comet' on the track. Even a MRC 1300 will generally run a "Big Hauler" set by itself.

I've seen more than a few of the Lionel 'G' power connector clips go bad. If you're using the Lionel "lock-on" to connect power, take it off. Put the loco on the track and just hold the wires against the rails and see if it runs. If so, either solder the wires directly to the rails, or track down a set of LGB power leads with rail clamps.

Also, if you're using Lionel turnouts, make sure you don't have any reverse loops in your set up. Without gaps and additional wiring, a reverse loop will cause a short, creating an overload to the power pack.

Len

A Trainman

gooner_1967,

lay the loco on it's side and look at the pilot truck (the four,small, front wheels) There should be an arrow pointing forward on the bottom, if it's not pointing forward carefully rotate the wheel set and try it again.
The  pilot truck also has electrical pickups attached and if its rotated backwards will cause a dead short.

Good luck and tell us what you find.

Adam

gooner_1967

yes,that did the trick,i downloaded the instructions on the forum here and that's what happen.

Chuck N

Don't feel bad, it happens to all of us.

We've been there and done that.

Chuck

Len

Good catch Adam. I forgot about the reversable pilot truck on the 'Big Hauler' when I suggested 'shorts to look for'.

Len

Hunt

All the ones I have seen over the years  --

Bachmann Big Haulers  4-6-0 locomotive tender from the factory (both Anniversary and standard editions) is  not equipped to pick up power from the rails. All power pickups from the rails are in the locomotive. 

RkyGriz

Yeah-it's kind of sad that the tenders don't come from the factory with track powered sound and tender light. That would be cool. I have 4 Annies and they all have the second plug on the back of the locomotive  that's labeled as being for the tender light. Does anybody know why none of the Annies come with the tender and its'  back light already wired and ready to go?

Len

Hunt - I'll make a note of that, I was just suggesting short problems common to other scales.  I'm not a 'G' modeler, and just worked on a couple of "Big Haulers" in my shop some time back and forgot about the pilot truck possibly getting reversed.

Len

A Trainman

Sometimes its the simple things that cause the most problems, easy to overlook and... "how did that happen?" ???

gooner_1967,
Happy to be of service!
You came to the right place for LS Bachmann answers. There's a lot of knowledge in this forum. I don't participate as often as I would like too but I do try to read this forum every day or so.

Enjoy your train!

Adam 

gooner_1967

Quote from: A Trainman on July 22, 2015, 08:40:12 PM
Sometimes its the simple things that cause the most problems, easy to overlook and... "how did that happen?" ???

gooner_1967,
Happy to be of service!
You came to the right place for LS Bachmann answers. There's a lot of knowledge in this forum. I don't participate as often as I would like too but I do try to read this forum every day or so.

Enjoy your train!

Adam 

i got the train up and running.now i have another problem.the cars dont light up anymore and i even put in new fresh batteries.can anyone help with that

Chuck N

We need help. How were the cars lighted, track, battery, solar, esp?

How do you expect us to help if you don't give us some basic information.

It reminded me of a question I once received.  "Should I marry a blonde, brunette, or a red head?"

The more information, the more we can help.

Chuck

gooner_1967

the lights are run by a 9 volt battery.i stated before i put in new fresh batteries.they dont come on anymore