News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

The Showalter Engines

Started by Sandpatch1, July 09, 2015, 12:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandpatch1

Does anybody know how Jack Showalter got his engines? I am just curious as to how he got them.

Also, does anybody know if these engines have been saved? They were (and still may be) in Immediate danger of being scrapped.

jbrock27

I thought RichG/richardl had offered/posted some info on this?  What happened to it?
Keep Calm and Carry On

ebtnut

Last I knew, the locos were still stored in Staunton, VA.  Since Jack has passed away, not sure what will become of them.  The two engines, 1238 and 1286, came from George Hart, who had operated them on the old Ma and Pa in tourist service in the early 1960's.  My first cab ride was in 1286, though it was only a two-block runaround in York.  I presume that Hart acquired them from the CP at scrap value when they were retired around 1962.  At one time in the 1970's there were 5 of those G-5's running.  No. 1200, the class engine was in Canada.  Steamtown had 1278 and 1293, and Showalter had the other two.  I got to run 1278 a few times when it was on the Gettysburg before the boiler incident.  She's now at the Age of Steam Roundhouse in Ohio, basically being used for parts to keep 1293 running.   

ebtnut

I just saw a pic on No. 1238 on Railpictures.net.  The caption indicated that she was being prepped for delivery to a new owner.  So it appears that one or both of the locos are moving on to a new home.