News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 with dcc operation on dc

Started by Pastooka, August 02, 2015, 12:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pastooka

I just purchased an "on30" Baldwin 4-6-0 steam locomotive with dcc sound. Item number 28904.

It is my understanding I can operate this locomotive on dc track as well, but do I need to change out or switch anything in order to do this or can I simply go back and forth ( have 2 layouts, one with dcc, one not) The  product looks great and do not want to hinder it's operation.
Thanks in advance.

the Bach-man

Dear Pastooka,
Just put it on the track and enjoy it!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

p51

Yeah, it'll run without DCC. Before I ever hooked up DCC to my layout once it was built, I had bought all my ten-wheelers, all with sound. I test ran all of them and I noticed they all worked, but the following were issues:

• The exhaust sounds don't sync with the movement of the locomotives
    The whistle sounds 2 blasts going forward and 3 backing up each time you change direction. In real life, you would've done those signals anyway
On DCC, you can control the whistles yourself along with lots of other stuff you can't hear with DC. The 'chug' sounds on DCC sync correctly with the loco on DCC (4 exhaust sounds per revolution of the drivers).
In short, they'll run all right, but you really need DCC to experience all the sounds they can make. Otherwise, why'd you bother buying a sound-equipped engine?
-Lee