How to post a photo on the Bachmann Froum using Photobucket

Started by Loco Bill Canelos, July 21, 2015, 07:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi All,

Recently I was asked to help a fellow forum member post a photo here on the forum.  I thought I would share the response I sent him.

1 Open a Photobucket account and follow the instructions on uploading the photos you wish to share. Upload the photos  :).

2. Open a new topic on the Bachmann Forum and type in the info you want to share 8).  Go to the next line

3. Open photobucket in a "new" tab leaving your forum tab open.  Once open scroll thru your photobucket library til you get to the photo you want.  Click on the photo to open it up.  On the right side of the screen you will see the share links list. :D

4. Scroll down to the "IMG" link and click on the space to the right of the "IMG" symbol. As you  click on it you will see the word "copied" flash briefly.   (In this case I clicked on an image of a Rail truck I added a freight compartment on and a scratch built trailer full of pigs ::))

5. Go back to the Bachmann Forum Tab and scroll to the space you want the picture to appear.  Click on the paste button.  You will see a line starting with a URL on your screen.

6.  Continue with any additional text you which to add, then click on the "Preview" button to check things out :).  Your post should appear just as it will appear on the forum including the photo, when you  click on the "Post" button.

7.  Click on the "Post" button and you are done :o!

The picture appears on screen right where you placed it 8).  In this case I placed it at the very end of the post.

Hope this helps those frustrated trying to post photos.  One critical factor is very important.  If you post a picture in the forum and later delete it or even move it to a different place in your photobucket account, it will disappear from your post :'(.

Added info:

The original picture in this first post is clickable and you will be able to view all the other pictures in my account.   This is something that is not a problem to me since the photobucket account I use is strictly for train photos which I have posted at one time or another or thought about posting.  Please feel free to click on it and look at all the photos in my account.   If you have questions about any of my other photos please post a new thread asking about them.

If your photobucket account has photos you do not wish to share, it is best you do not use my method. ??? :'(.  I suggest starting a separate photobucket account for posting your train photos here on the forum or possibly elsewhere.
I apologize for failing to mention that when I originally posted the procedure, since I had forgotten about it.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused to forum members.   

Loco Bill

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Hunt

Bill,

Did you see and try?
The procedure posted May 10, 2015 in
Frequently Asked Questions (F.A.Q.s) - READ ONLY FORUM
   - General Questions
        - Posting Photos Using Photobucket

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,30172.0.html

BTW topic was moved there by Yardmaster
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,30176.msg222441.html#msg222441

Loco Bill Canelos

Hunt,

Yes, but I decided to post here anyway because many folks miss the links to the FAQ, and I also had emails about the subject from people confused by the FAQ, no offense to Len!!

The FAQ photos on the subject do not seem to show the screen I see on the Photobucket site.  Also many of the later steps noted in the FAQ are not needed.  Once you click on the "IMG" link in Photobucket, all you need to do is go back to the forum and do a paste(Sterp 5). This is a much simpler way to post an image and less confusing overall.  There is no need for the "insert image" step in the FAQ.

I know regular users of Photobucket all have their way of doing it and that is great, but I just wanted to do a step 1 through 7 very detailed way for new people who are not having success or getting confused.

If I have offended anyone, I apologize.

Bill

Hunt

Bill,
Not a problem.

However, I know that in the not too distant past the procedure you gave would not work on the Bachmann site. It seems there have been some changes made to the SMF software, which the Bachmann Board uses,  to remove part of the code and use only the part between the IMG tags.

Your procedure enters

[URL=http://s259.photobucket.com/user/sharronbillc/media/IMG_2199.jpg.html][IMG]http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh291/sharronbillc/IMG_2199.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

But only the part with IMG tags is used

[IMG]http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh291/sharronbillc/IMG_2199.jpg[/IMG]

Which displays the image

Place the pointer on the image (picture) and right click. Now left click on Properties in the box.

What comes up --shows next to Address what is found between IMG tags and is the link used to display the image.

Hunt

Correction

Place the pointer on the image (picture) and right left click. Now left right click on Properties in the box.

What comes up --shows next to Address: what is found between IMG tags and is the link used to display the image.

Loco Bill Canelos

Wow! OK! I am not tech savvy and I do not understand all the tech stuff and what part of the url shows or doesn't show, but the method I used to post photos is the method I have always used ever since I started posting pictures on the forum, at least from Photobucket.  I know it works the way I laid it out, and I know that if you move the photo in Photobucket after a post of it on the forum, the link will no longer work and the picture will no longer appear.

My hope was to make it super simple!!

Hunt

Your procedure works until Photobucket and SMF (used by Bachmann) code are once again not compatible.   ;)

charon

Thank you Hunt and Bill,
This is what the technician from Microsoft told me.  Photobucket ii's not compatible with my Microsoft tablet computer with the Surface RT operating system.
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

Bucksco

Bill - thanks for your input. It's not always necessary to know how a computer functions you just need to know how to operate it. Pretty much how I feel about DCC.

Hunt

Quote from: Yardmaster on July 25, 2015, 09:54:45 AM
Bill - thanks for your input. It's not always necessary to know how a computer functions you just need to know how to operate it. Pretty much how I feel about DCC.

Yardmaster ...
You have mischaracterized the info I provided. Not everyone wishes to be kept unaware.

Nevertheless, go ahead - delete all the posts after Bills ordinal post!

Hunt

An aside ... Fact

Yardmaster, here is more TMI (Too Much Information) about your "just need to know how to operate it."

When posting a message on the Ask the Bach Man there is an Insert Image button located above the Smileys.

The photo will not be displayed when using this Insert Image button* with the IMG link copied from Photobucket. Instead you will get.

[/URL][/img]

* The instructions to use the Insert Image button provided under the Help button

Chuck N

I have refrained from commenting on this thread, because I do not use photobucket.

I have not had any problems posting pictures here using my pictures stored in my My Large Scale members files.  All I do is select the image, copy its URL and paste it into the insert icon above for pictures.  

For those of you with pictures in other file sources there might be other options.

Copied and pasted it into the picture icon above the emiotocons above this post.

Maybe there are other places to store you pictures.

Chuck

let us see if it works tonight.

On my screen it showed up.

Hunt

more ...
Quote from: Hunt on July 25, 2015, 06:31:59 PM
An aside ... Fact

Yardmaster, here is more TMI (Too Much Information) about your "just need to know how to operate it."

When posting a message on the Ask the Bach Man there is an Insert Image button located above the Smileys.

The photo will not be displayed when using this Insert Image button* with the IMG link copied from Photobucket. Instead you will get.

[/URL][/img]

* The instructions to use the Insert Image button provided under the Help button

Use the Photobucket Direct not the IMG link copy feature when using the Bachmann site Insert Image button to display the photo/image on Bachmann site.

Hunt

Chuck ,
Your procedure use to work on Bachmann with Photobucket until Photobucket changed their Share link IMG  feature to make the photo/image clickable back to Photobucket.

Chuck N

Hunt and Bachmann

I'll continue to use MLS to post pictures here, as along as it works.

I'm no geek, so I use what works and when it doesn't, I try something else.

I think that being able to,post pictures is fundamental to our ability to help those who are new, or having a problem we can help with a workable solution.

I do not have a Photobucket account or any other "cloud" site other than MLS.  

If Bachmann wants us to help beginners, they need an easier interface for posting pictures.

Chuck

Note added, if posters can't easily post pictures, I'll probably try to help on other sites.  I like this site because I have a lot of great Bachmann products and I enjoying helping people.