Is it better to run DCC on Nickel Silver or Steel alloy rails?

Started by Trainfan1225, July 25, 2015, 07:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

electrical whiz kid

By strict definition, "code" implies a set standard; which, in this case, is how we observe our respective track systems.  As a general rule, having switched some time ago, to code 70, I work with two "standards"; that which shows, and that which doesn't. 
I have a good amount of code 83 and 100 in my supply.  Tightwad that I am, I will not toss it, but will, rather, use it in places it will not be seen.
Now, to guys like me, "code" does NOT necessarily apply to dimensions; however, "code 70" happens to have .070"  as a rail height, and nothing else.  So, in the words of Willie the Shake; "a code is a code is a ..."

Personally, I consider it none of my business as what the other guy does, or how he/she observes "codes".  It is, after all, a free country.  At this point in my life, I just want to enjoy life and (most of...) the people I come in contact with...  ...Including Jim....

RIch C.

jbrock27

Thank you very much Rich!  I appreciate that.
You are on a William Shakespeare tear lately :D
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

RAM

The only place I would use steel track is on a dead end siding where you will not be running locomotives.  cars only

alias

Quote from: RAM on August 04, 2015, 12:16:44 AM
The only place I would use steel track is on a dead end siding where you will not be running locomotives.  cars only

Guys why return to a square wheel when we have a better rounder one? ALWAYS USE Nickel-Silver and you will make your life easier. Think about it, when you build a layout you build it over a period of a few years. Actually some layouts are never finished to the extent that there's always something new you would like to build or add, given you have the appropriate space available. So if you build something to last many years or decades even, why not use the best materials available? It's braindead simple!

Cheers!

Len

Steel rail is still around because manufacturers continue to put it in sets. People starting out buy one of those sets and want to expand it. Often they think they have to buy the same kind of track for it to be compatible and not have "mixed metal corrosion". Or because they don't want to mix roadbed colors. Often these folks never hear of NS track until after their 4x8 empire is complete.

The real solution is for manufacturers to just stop making steel track. Switch the production facilities over to NS, and bring the price of NS down. Then the whole, "Which track should I use?", "Can I mix track?" issues eventually goes away. Except maybe for the used market, that still manages to keep brass track alive.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.