News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Please help

Started by Trav n kip, July 27, 2015, 02:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trav n kip

Hi. We have just been given a rather large layout. I believe it's all non digital setup. The setup has been stored poorly and the under table wiring is a nightmare (the builder has deceased so he isn't much help). Can a digital decoder (or something) be retrofitted to our existing old locos and a digital setup installed on our track. The track had isolated track sections on buttons, remote switch operated turn outs and much more switches and dials that I have no idea what there for or how they worked, let alone how to repair and reconnect. My son is ill and I want to get it going as quick and easy as I can for him. Lights and sounds are not important, but I would like to run two or three trains at once. Could you advise in non experienced language my best solution.
Thank you.
Travis Watkins
Ps - we are from Australia. I'm a motor mechanic by trade and my son is a 10 yr old with impending brain surgery after brain bleed causing stroke. I really want to make him smile but don't have a massive budget. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Pls don't forget I'm very new to all this and I have no idea what half of these forum posts are talking about. Lol. I promise to do my best.

kewatin

gooday travis
my recomendation would be to see if there are any model railroad clubs in your area &see if one  or 2 members might be able to check it out for you,especially with your son being in ill health, i am more than sure would help you out .their are many many excellent modelers in aus &have corresponded with. one thing about the model rail community is most are always ready to help.it sounds like your layout is dc direct current and you would like to run dcc,the conversion is quite simple,but it sounds like the layout is wired for multible train running as you mentioned it has isolated sections of track.the reason for this is so a few trains running on layout will not run into each other.you would be able to get up and running with dc quicker than trying to switch to dcc right away,again with the help of some local train club members. you can google train forums in aus and see if any members are close by that would be willing to help.also if you know the voltage of the power supply for the layout ,you could try to power the system up and with your auto back ground experience check to see if you have track voltage &try running a loco,you may hit it lucky.also i would recommend cleaning the track first with alcohol pads before doing anything. do not take sandpaper to it. as a last resort you can try your local hobby shop as they may know someone whom may be able to help.i wish you godspeed with getting a solution to your problem.if you need answers just post on this forum as there are many ,many talented folks  that would be eager to help,many a help i have myself received.regards&later KEWATIN

jward

conversion to digital control, dcc, is not cheap. some of the lower priced dcc systems have limited capabilities and are not upgradeable into a larger system at a later date. in addition to the $200 or more you'll spend for a good entry level system, you will still have to spend about $20 minimum per locomotive for decoders so they will run on dcc, plus you'll have to wire these in yourself in many cases. when I made the jump to dcc about 10 years ago, I spent about $300 for a system and 5 decoders for my locomotives. keep in mind these are us prices, they may be higher where you are.

for now, I'd try to figure out which switches and buttons control what on the existing layout. for the track blocks this should be relatively easy. just place a locomotive on the rails, turn all the block switches off, then turn them on one at a time until you find the one that runs the train. turn off all other switches, then run it until it stops. repeat the process until you have a good idea which switches control which sections of track. you should be making notes as you do this.

for the remote controlled track switches, they should be controlled by either a toggle switch or a push button, or a combination pushbutton/ slide switch. activate these and see what responds. once again, make notes of what controls what.

by doing this, you should be able to figure out a pattern of the controls. most of us who had dc controlled layouts wired them in a logical plan, and when you figure out what this plan is you will be able to figure out how to fix any non operating parts as well.

the other approach to figuring out the wiring is to crawl under the table and trace the wires to see where each one goes. if you go that route your back will not forgive you.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA