News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Branchline and short line track

Started by Trainman203, July 29, 2015, 08:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Len

THIS is a proper New Haven color scheme, on the EP-3. Which is the "daddy" of the GG-1. Only differences are they moved the end trucks out 4", stuck a Loewy body on it, and moved everything the generated heat up between the cabs on the GG-1. The EP-3 could get 12 loaded heavy weight cars from 0-85mph in way less than a minute:

There's only one NH loco that rightfully belongs in the McGinnis scheme. I give it a pass, both because it came from the factory painted this way, and it used the 'simplified' scheme that was easier on the eyes. It's the hybrid that might have made a difference under better management, the FL-9:

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

Quote from: Len on August 02, 2015, 10:19:06 AM
THIS is a proper New Haven color scheme...Len

...in your, most humble opinion.  Which I am sure, many share as well.  Just like I am sure, that many like the last scheme.

Quote from: Len on August 02, 2015, 10:19:06 AM
There's only one NH loco that rightfully belongs in the McGinnis scheme. I give it a pass...Len

How magnanimous.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Irbricksceo

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on August 02, 2015, 08:19:55 AM
Not so fast, there; sonny;

I'll be the first to agree with you that the New Haven was the "ugly step-child" that the PC had to take; but before you go and stick your metatarsals into your food chute, check out the goings on in the dark chambers of the Penn Central "executive" bathrooms...Seriously, it took a dite more than the then scrawny little dwarf-like misshapen  New Haven to bring the mighty Penn Central to it's knees.

RIch C.

True, it was not by any means the only cause, I just said that it was a large factor.

Also, Metatarsals into your food chute may be one of the most glorious things I've heard in a while.
Modeling NYC in N

Trainman203

I liked the old fashioned script New York, New Haven, and Harlem that took up the whole half of a boxcar side.  I never have much  liked big " super- graphics" on freight car sides like  a huge "NH", "BM" or "MStL", or oversized lettering like the Santa Fe did, or huge heralds like the Santa Fe did.  I never liked screaming reds, blues, yellows or jade greens for freight cars.  The toy train makers and buyers loved all of that for the play value, but such manifestations to me only reflect the era of railroad  decline. DISCLAIMER: early 1900s freight cars had huge heralds too, but I like those.

NOW .... Off the New Haven and back to topic.  Being from the Deep South, how could I not forget the kudzu?  Although.... We really didn't see it in Louisiana till more recently.  I do not remember it as a child.

jbrock27

Quote from: Trainman203 on August 02, 2015, 05:33:33 PM
...such manifestations to me only reflect the era of railroad  decline.

Yep, things change, life changes.  One either adapts or lets life run them over.
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

Trainman;
Neither I; nor nothing else...

Rich C.