News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Seeking wiring help for N4-6-0 w/DCC

Started by SandyEggoJake, August 26, 2015, 12:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SandyEggoJake

Obtained a N4-6-0 with wires cut apparently from an aborted attempt at a tender swap.  To be clear I'm trying to confirm the connections of the 5 black wires that go between the loco and tender.  (The one red wire from the loco motor obviously connect to "M+" of the DCC board has a short section of red insulation wire is still attached.)

I have the DCC N4-6-0 drawing (http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/N_BALDWIN_4-6-0_EXPLODE_DRAWING_N514X_(1).pdf
) , but as the lighting PCB is not well labeled, this does not seem to be enough info.  Also the labels on this drawing relate to the pad info for connecting a replacement DCC (unused as this tender had the stock DCC).   This document claims the wires are uniquely colored, which is not the case on this loco (all are black save one red, same as in Mark's photo on http://www.spookshow.net/loco/spec460.html).

After the red wire reconnect to M+, my guess is the black wire from the loco motor to the DCC PCB at M-.   (Duh.)

Then the four black wires coming from the lighting PCB.  Here is were I really need the help as this lighting PCB02 is pretty messed up.  Large balls of solder and other stuff (black paint? flux? charring from either arc or poor soldering skill?)  As such the labels on the lower half of the front of the PCB02 are not legible.

Orienting this lighting PCB with the flat edge down, on the back, centered between the two lower pads I can make out what seems to be a capital letter "A".  But the rest of the writing on the back sees to just be the part number.  

Scrapping the char flux and solder on the PCB front a bit, I think I see what was once a printed "R" near the locomotive right side screw hole.... which seems to be an electrical connection to the right half of the chassis and thus the right track.  On the back side of PCB02, I see the top wire through holes have PCB traces to the two  screw holes.  So my guess it that these top wires are for the "R" and "L" on the DCC board, locomotive right and left side respectively.

Deductively, that would make the two lower pads on this PCB02 (near the flat edge) for running the LED (L- and L+).  I can't make out the cathode or anode of this LED, but scrapping some more charred flux off the PCB, I think I can make out a "+" on the front near the lower locomotive right wire through hole.

As I'm not keen on toasting this DCC board and/or the LED from a crossed wire, can anyone confirm this to be correct?

Summary of my guess:  

Motor:
Red wire to "M+"
Black wire to "M-"

PCB02:
Black wire at top locomotive right to "R"
Black wire at top locomotive left  to "L"
Black wire at bottom locomotive right to "L+"
Black wire at bottom locomotive left to "L-"

gatrhumpy

spookshow

Quote from: gatrhumpy on August 26, 2015, 02:14:59 PM