News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Is black the new black?

Started by Kevin Strong, November 08, 2007, 08:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Strong

With all the talk of the new colors on the Bachmann 4-4-0, all I want to ask is:

What's wrong with basic black?

This used to be a rather garish SPC red. (with apologies to SPC fans)

and fortunately had a run in with a spray can.

The repainting of this loco will be the subject of a the next few "Garden Railways Basics" columns in Garden Railways. More photos and a little history of the loco's prototype can be found at:
http://www.mylargescale.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49585

Perhaps this might convince Bachmann that an updated and modernized 4-4-0 may make a nice addition?

Later,

K

traindude109

Stunning Kevin. Great job! Inspired me to buy one of those 4-4-0's at Trainworld.....well sometime soon. :D
Matt

Boulder Creek and Western Railroad (G scale 1:20.3)

calenelson

Beautiful as always...I painted my first Annie Green, and although she looks nice, It's hard to beat Black!

I believe all steam motive pwr from now on will be Black.....

Paul W.

Happy Steamin'

Paul

TJ-Lee

K,

Look forward to the painting article. I've two of the Sam's club Annies I'd like to paint but you have no idea how intimidating it is to actually start such a project.

Should I take that off or paint over it? What about that? How is that connected? Where to spray? Where to brush?

Looking forward to your tips on getting a clear starting point.

Best regards,
TJ

Kevin Strong

Quote from: TJ-Lee on November 12, 2007, 04:48:06 PM
Look forward to the painting article. I've two of the Sam's club Annies I'd like to paint but you have no idea how intimidating it is to actually start such a project.
Oh, you mean like me putting off installing a lift-out bridge for yet another year because I don't want to deal with casting concrete?  :-\ Hopefully this series will demystify the process a bit.
Quote from: TJ-Lee on November 12, 2007, 04:48:06 PM
Should I take that off or paint over it? What about that? How is that connected? Where to spray? Where to brush?
I'll cover all that. The answers aren't always cut and dry, but fortunately Bachmann provides exploded parts views to help. Still, there are hidden screws and glue joints that just will boggle your mind trying to figure out how to get them apart. When in doubt, ask TOC. I managed to disassemble half my Heisler before he told me that two somewhat hidden screws drop the trucks right off.  ::)

Later,

K

Terry Toenges

Kevin - I agree all the way. Black is the way to go. Great job.
Feel like a Mogul.

japasha

Kevin,

I like the conversion and the paint is great. Being an SPC fan, I left that one alone and purchased another for my own road.

What kind of lift out bridge are you going to build? Contact me directly at japasha@aol.com with dimensions, etc.

Mark Oles

Kevin,

Said it before, the paint job looks real!  I still like the colored locos, but like Fletch's modernized 4-4-0, this looks great!  Bachmann does make this engine in just black, but it lacks the life that yours has.

Mark

TJ-Lee

Quote from: Kevin Strong on November 13, 2007, 02:02:24 AMI'll cover all that. The answers aren't always cut and dry, but fortunately Bachmann provides exploded parts views to help. Still, there are hidden screws and glue joints that just will boggle your mind trying to figure out how to get them apart.

I look forward to your article with great anticipation. I don't believe I'd have stayed in the hobby without Garden Railways and the many fine people (including yourself  ;)) that I've met on MyLargeScale.

Quote from: Kevin Strong on November 13, 2007, 02:02:24 AMWhen in doubt, ask TOC. I managed to disassemble half my Heisler before he told me that two somewhat hidden screws drop the trucks right off.  ::)

I'm a big fan of TOC. He installed the Sierra sound system in my Shay and while on a very tight budget it was money very well spent. Incredible customer service (where it counts, when things go wrong!) TOC is aces in my book.

While I have some experience with building concrete scenery I've never cast any so there I cannot help you. But if you want to build a mountain I can offer some tips:

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/tj-lee/Trains%20-%20Building%20Scenery%20-%20Cliffs%20Rev%2007-23-2007.pdf

Very best regards (and can't wait for your next article),

TJ

Kevin Strong

Here are a few shots of #5 out on the line, making the Sunday milk run.

Sunday's supposed to be a day of rest, but folks still want fresh milk to go with their Sunday brunch. So, the farmers still have to set their milk cans out by the tracks, and the railroad still has to deliver them to other points along the line. But this is easily handled today by a single combine (EBT's #18). The train has come up from Burnt Cabins, and is heading west after stopping at Neelyton.

Westbound towards Shade Gap

Approaching the Shade Creek bridge just east of Shade Gap

The engineer gives a friendly wave as he passes by, eastbound to Neelyton.

Turning north out of Neelyton headed for Blair's Mills and back to the TVRR's home rails.

Later,

K

charon

Very nice Kevin, thanks for sharing.
And Happy Thanksgiving to all the fellow Bachmannians!
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

Steve Stockham

Yep! Happy Thanksgiving everybody! Today it's turkey and all the trimmings followed by football but tomorrow it's time for running the trains!! ;D I have family coming in from all over and I decided to deck out the layout for Christmas!

chucknlead

Nice work! I like the fact that you didn't over do it on the weathering job

(which is easy to do) :-[
Choooooo----------Choooooooo

r.cprmier

Seconded!

Most, if not all, steamers were very well maintained, both by the maintenence dept, and by their crews.  Pride in one's individual workmanship was very important in those bygone days; and it was both appreciated and [usually] rewarded by the management in one way or another.

Weathering is a nice "characterization" effort, but they mostly didn't stay weathered for long.

RIch
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!