News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Building a "Mike".

Started by electrical whiz kid, August 07, 2015, 08:31:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

electrical whiz kid

HI; Have finally started to build me a mike from Bachmann parts.  It is a pretty tricky proposition, but it is fun and am learning a lot in the process.  While I do not encourage this task for the faint at heart, it is my own personal little adventure.  I will keep you posted as I go along. 
The project started life as the second SY I had purchased some years back, and a "Frisco" body.  Lots of cutting and fitting, but it is coming.  Bachmann parts are of the same high quality that we have become accustomed to.

Rich C.

electrical whiz kid

Wayne;
I did one, which I call my "Green-card mike", about eight or so years back, and it did come out OK; and it runs like a bear.  I just wanted to see how it would go.  So far, so good.  I also have another "Frisco" shell, and am going to try that one on an  OLD mantua frame.  That mantua mike is a strong locomotive, and want to use it.  Along with Bachmann's shells being well-detailed, they are pretty easy to work with-unlike brass...

RIch C.

Trainman203

rogertra

Sometime ago, some one here was converting a Spectrum 2-8-0 into a 2-8-2.  This may have been at least two years ago.

They posted some photos of the project under way but never did, as far as I know, post any photos of the finished project.

If that person is still on this group perhaps they could the finished project?

Cheers

Roger T.

rogertra

Quote from: rogertra on August 08, 2015, 01:38:42 AM
Sometime ago, some one here was converting a Spectrum 2-8-0 into a 2-8-2.  This may have been at least two years ago.

They posted some photos of the project under way but never did, as far as I know, post any photos of the finished project.

If that person is still on this group perhaps they could show the finished project?

Cheers

Roger T.

ryeguyisme

Quote from: lanny on October 30, 2007, 10:42:00 PM
Here's a further progress on the ICRR Mike kit bash from a Spec. 2-8-0. My good friend and consumate craftsman, 'Bojangle' did the necessary frame work, etc to install the trailing truck (from a Spectrum 'heavy Mountain'). He also has done some added work on the boiler, including filling in the holes. Next step will be the detailing ... and there will be lots of it!

Lanny

ryeguyisme

Also RDG Casey, who does Reading/Lehigh Valley kitbashes does some pretty amazing stuff:

http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/88/t/239829.aspx

All from a Spectrum 2-8-0, truly inspirational work, inspired me to start making a D&RGW 2-10-2 F-81 from a Heavy USRA 2-10-2

electrical whiz kid

Rye; Good work-mighty good!!
Question...  The parts that were created; were they "printed"?  As in 3-D printing.

RIch C.

ryeguyisme

Firstly I could never take credit for anyone's pics or work, the first post was Lanny who was amember on here , and and second RDG Casey on other MRR boards.

I am always looking around at ideas for new concepts on my locomotive empire(like freelance D&RGW Standard gauge steam)

If it weren't for the likes of those out there who kitbash steam(ex: John Allen),   I would've never taken on the art. The interesting thing about what I do is some projects don't exist anymore, they ony exist as a memory(no photos even!) And some project evolved into better looking projects. Most projects haven't been conceived yet, they're plans being devised in my head.

But it's the inspiration that sparks it all ;D

electrical whiz kid

Rye;
I don't believe that you made any inference alluding to taking credit for someone else's work-at least I did not sense that.

The work was good.  Whom ever did it deserves much credit.  I applaud your effort towards finding new concepts.  I approach similarly, and get a great deal of satisfaction out of my efforts; which is what, in the end, counts.
It was John Allen's legacy to all of us that we approach with fresh heart and free mind; and not shackled to some other procedures or concept.  The mentality that says we HAVE to adhere to any set methodology is absurd.
I am glad that you shared photo/comment here. 
Rich C.

jbrock27

I am no lawyer, Doctor but are you maintaining that when you post your photos on say, the MRR Forum, one has an obligation to ask or that you have the expectation they will ask you, for your permission before taking those photos and electronically "passing them around", if you will?
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

When it became a matter of $$, of course it became a legal matter, LOL :D

Thank you for your reply Wayne, I understand what you are saying.  I would add that it IS after all, the Internet and that if one is worried about who sees what and what it is used for, then it probably should not be put there.  But I am certainly glad there are people, just like yourself, who are willing to use "out there" as a vehicle to share.
Keep Calm and Carry On

ryeguyisme

I have absolutely no issues with crediting the creator of such pictures or model, in fact I almost wish some would share my work, as to inspire others to the freelance or creative part of the hobby as well. If said authors of such posts wanted me to take them down I would also respect that.

rogertra

Speaking of photo credits, I decided to check Wikipedia and Googled "model railroading".

And this page comes up: -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_transport_modelling#/media/File:Model_rs3_bridge.jpg

The photo in the top right hand corner is of my Great Eastern Railway and is one of my photo.

It used to give me photo credit but the photo credit has been removed.  I've contacted Wikipedia, reminded them this is a copyrighted photo and asked that my photo credit be restored.

We'll see what happens.

Regards.

Roger T.

jbrock27

Quote from: ryeguyisme on August 12, 2015, 09:22:36 PM
I almost wish some would share my work, as to inspire others to the freelance or creative part of the hobby as well.

Ryeguy, do you have your work in place that is easily accessible for others to find and to share?
Keep Calm and Carry On