News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

E-Z Track Turnouts

Started by trains4life, August 08, 2015, 02:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trains4life

Hi,
I hope I'm posting this in the right place, I have a question about E-Z track turnouts.
I'm planning on making a DC layout, but I want all my sidings to be live, so which turnouts should I be using? The DCC or the remote turnouts?

I hope someone can help.

Thanks very much!

Len

Either will give you live spurs. You have to use insulated rail joiners, or cut gaps, and connect the spur through a toggle switch if you want to be able to turn them on/off.

Since you're building a DC layout, unless you plan to upgrade to DCC at a later date, there's no point to spending extra money for the DCC version.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

trains4life

That's great to hear! Now I don't need to be able to turn them on/off, I just want them live all the time. So once I connect the track, it'll be live? I don't need to do anything else?

jbrock27

Correct.

Are you going to use the turnouts that have remote switch machines to operate the switch points? (the things that dictate which way the train will go)
Keep Calm and Carry On

trains4life

Great!

As for switching the points, I figure I'll use the manual type, as I don't plan on having more then 3-4. Does that mean I need to choose between the DCC or the remote turnouts?

jbrock27

Not entirely sure.  This is where the suggestion comes into play to begin to learn how to search the net, in particular GOOGLE, for both shopping and info.

Let me ask, do you plan on using nickel silver track?  Is there a reason why you do not want to use remote turnouts?
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

the dc ones will work equally well on dc or dcc. the dcc ones will need a dcc command station to remote control the points.

personally, I'd stay away from the standard switches, and instead opt for the #5 switches. they may be a little more expensive and take up a bit more room, but they work much better due to the gentler curves in the switch itself.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

Quote from: jward on August 11, 2015, 11:47:22 AM
the dc ones will work equally well on dc or dcc...I'd stay away from the standard switches, and instead opt for the #5 switches.

These DC ones you speak of, do they have remotes or do they come in manual?   This is t4l's current question. 

Additional question: does Bachmann not make #4 turnouts?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

Except for the manual turnouts in the 'Expansion Pack', all of the DC turnouts I'm aware of are remote control. The remote control turnouts can also be operated manually.

The turnouts available are:

'Standard' 18" radius diverging track, LH & RH
#4 LH & RH, straight diverging track
#5 LH & RH, straignt diverging track
#6 LH & RH, straight diverging track

While the arc of the diverging track on the #4, #5, and #6 may match sectional curve tracks, the radius does not. So some adjustment to track geometry may be required if used to replace a 'Standard' turnout.

Len

jbrock27

Thanks Len.  I am sure that info will help t4l.

This should be his question, but these are n/s, I imagine?
Keep Calm and Carry On

kdgrant6

Hey, trains4life,

if I may be so bold to throw this in, I have the first two Len mentioned above.  They are Item #s 44130 and the 44131 (left and right).

As jbrock pointed out, the questions is manual or remote.  These two are DCC, but have manual controls, too.  They each have a curved radius of 18", which are widely disparaged, but for your purposes may not be a problem, depending on what you have and where you intend to take it.

I would urge you to do a lot more homework before making these purchases.  Many people in this forum would be excellent resources.

Len

jb - Yes, nickle silver. The only ones I've ever seen in steel are the 'Standard' turnouts with the 18" radius diverging track.

Len

jbrock27

Thank you for the answer Len.
Keep Calm and Carry On

trains4life

Thanks for all the info everyone! Looks like I have a lot to think about. Thanks again!

jbrock27

You're welcome and good luck :)
Keep Calm and Carry On