News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2007 OSH Train Set - Photos

Started by traindude109, November 08, 2007, 09:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

traindude109

Hi all,

I was informed by a friend that the new OSH train sets for 2007 were now on the shelves so tonight I decided to go check them out and snap a couple photos for you guys. Got there and wondered through the Christmas section until I got to the last Christmas aisle....found it! I must say I am quite impressed and this is a very nice set. It is a Bachmann Ten Wheeler (NOT the Anniversary) a combine, and observation, all with the OSH logo and lettering. Coaches have battery powered lighting with the standard 9V. Comes with an oval of Bachmann track and a transformer; as usual with all Bachmann sets.

I plan on buying one of these sets when they go to 50% off after Christmas. I may be a narrow gauge modeler....but you have to have some fun sometimes right?

Anyway here are some photos.....if you have questions about the set feel free to ask and I will see what I can do.

The loco...sorry about the flash....overhead store lights don't make the best background lighting.

The combine

The observation

All the sets on the top shelf.....at $230 I don't think they are going too far....not until after Christmas at least when they go to 50% off
Matt

Boulder Creek and Western Railroad (G scale 1:20.3)

Curmudgeon

Boy, I didn't know they still had the old dies and tooling.
Good news for those that still use the old style headlights.
Really thought the pie-plate smokebox rivets were a thing of the past.
The plastic valve gear means we can probably get parts for ones that are broken.
I LIKE the new drop-coupler on that locomotive.

altterrain

Quote from: Curmudgeon on November 08, 2007, 10:42:50 PM
Really thought the pie-plate smokebox rivets were a thing of the past.

Dave is not only counting rivets, he's measuring their size!  :P

-Brian
President of

Curmudgeon

We've been calling them that since the Battery Big-Hauler.
Compare to a full Anniversary.

altterrain

I agree with you Dave. Even as a newbie buying a RC set in a second hand shop for $40, I knew those things were huge. I just couldn't resist poking a bit of fun and lightening the mood a bit. Things have been so serious in here lately....

-Brian
President of

Jon D. Miller

Bachmann sure must have the dies and tooling.  All of the sets pictured in the 2007 catalogue, with exception of 2, use the tooling with the "pie-plate" smoke box rivets.  Same goes for the headlights.

The OSH locomotive's paint scheme is very close to the ET&WNC Mountaineer Passenger set #90048.

Good looking OSH set but a little pricey.  After Christmas sounds like a good time to pick up a set. 
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Curmudgeon

Ah, but it seemed those pie-plates had been retired.
Hadn't seen them for a while.
Nothing a Dremel and some new rivets won't fix.

Gotta get me one of those drop couplers, tho.

Loco Bill Canelos

Matt,

Thanks for the great pictures of the OSH Set!

Since I live near St Louis I have no hope of getting my own photos for the Bachmann Book I am trying to write.

If you get the chance I would appreciate it if you could email me some additional photos and some info.   I am in need of the Bachmann Item Number of the Set.  Info on how much track is included. 

I need a rear shot of the coach or observation, and a closeup of the OSH logo on the combine. 

I especially need a closeup shot of the front of the box, and Of the loco & Tender together.

Maturally I will give you full photo credit on each picture used and credit for the help putting the section on this set together.

It is a great looking set.   Did you get the freight set from last year.  I really liked that OSH boxcar!!

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me on this set.   Feel free to email me directly.   

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

traindude109

Thanks for the reply Bill. Check your e-mail. I would be happy to help you out.
Matt

Curmudgeon

Just as a point of reference:
Checking the discounters in the current issue of GR, a full-on anniversary and two JS cars (with metal railings) is less combined than the set is selling for now.

What really surprises me is the clamoring for Spectrum quality and detail that has echoed through this and other forums for so many years, that there would be interest in an older version.

Not that there is anything wrong with the older version, especially since it should be a Version 5 chassis, but I think I would be going out and looking for the metal handrail version of the cars and the latest detail update on the 4-6-0.

Jon D. Miller

I may be wrong, but looking through Bachmann catalogues for 2007 and back the older less detailed version 10-Wheeler is the engine that is included in sets.

No doubt the sets being offered by Bachmann have the Version 5 drive but Bachmann continues to sell old castings in all but a couple of sets that are listed in the 2007 catalogue.

As I mentioned previously there are just two sets listed this year that have the Annie locomotive.  So the older casting with the large rivets and less detail continues to be sold.

The Bach Man should be able to confirm just what locomotive is being sold in the majority of new sets.

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

traindude109

Quote from: Curmudgeon on November 11, 2007, 12:23:50 PM
Just as a point of reference:
Checking the discounters in the current issue of GR, a full-on anniversary and two JS cars (with metal railings) is less combined than the set is selling for now.

What really surprises me is the clamoring for Spectrum quality and detail that has echoed through this and other forums for so many years, that there would be interest in an older version.

Not that there is anything wrong with the older version, especially since it should be a Version 5 chassis, but I think I would be going out and looking for the metal handrail version of the cars and the latest detail update on the 4-6-0.

Just a reminder....this set is going on sale for around $120 or less after Christmas.

Also, I don't think the set is really aimed at serious garden railroaders; rather something for families to put around their Christmas tree....or as a collector's item.
Matt